Ben Brown has written this guest post....
What’s more liberating than travel? You get to see people, places, and things that you don’t normally see. In the past, traveling the world was restricted to only the privileged few that could afford it. Today, almost everyone can travel to just about any corner of the globe. So, what’s stopping you from taking that solo-backpacking trip across Eastern Europe? Go ahead and find some cheap flights and start making memories today!
Backpacking across Eastern Europe is a great way to learn a bit of history, view the scenery, and meet new people from a completely different culture to your own. There are numerous historical monuments and sights of interest to visit in the countries of Eastern Europe.
While most individuals prefer backpacking in Europe with a few friends, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to take such a trip alone. It will allow you the opportunity to see the sights you want to see and learn something about who you really are. Don’t let mom talk you out of it because she thinks it could be dangerous. Backpacking around Europe can be quite safe and is great fun. To keep safe you just need to know what you’re doing and to have a comprehensive plan. Keep these tips and suggestions in mind and have a great time!
If you are planning on backpacking alone, the chances are you might need some assistance at some point. Don’t be afraid to ask for help when you need it. So, whether you are lost or in trouble, ask someone. Your hostel receptionist or a consulate will be happy to help. Or, look for a police officer, shopkeeper, or friendly local. Don’t forget to first inquire whether the person speaks English.
How to pack
The key to packing well is to remember to always pack light. Because you will be backpacking across Eastern Europe, you’ll be on the go most of the time. So, why worry about lugging around a large suitcase? Pack light and don’t forget the essentials: first aid kit, water, and passport!
Before you embark on your journey, do a little research on the local customs of where you plan to travel. Is there a certain way you will be expected to dress? If so, be sure to pack that type of clothing. You will also want to check the weather for climate-appropriate clothing. And don’t forget to buy comfortable walking shoes or boots. This will be money well spent.
Part of the fun of backpacking is that you are always on the go – you never know what will be around the next curve in the road. But, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t put some careful planning into the adventure. Invest in a good guidebook and buy some detailed maps of the country or countries that you intend to visit, and conduct some Internet research to find things to do and see. Make an itinerary that can be flexible when required.
Where to go
Eastern Europe is beautiful and has so many places to visit. Here are some of the best backpacking destinations.
- Albania – In southeastern Europe - with a varied terrain ranging from sandy beaches to snow-capped mountains, Albania has a lot to offer. For photographers and history buffs, this is the place to be.
- Bulgaria – Bulgaria is an affordable place to visit and offers a varied landscaped filled with majestic mountains, green forests, and has a fascinating cultural heritage.
- Hungary – Though you might not have thought it, Hungary is a great place to experience on a solo-backpacking trip. In fact, many refer to Budapest as the Paris of the East. Rich in history and beauty, Hungary offers a wide range of experiences.
- Montenegro – Did you know that Montenegro is one of the most popular backpacking destinations in Europe? The awe-inspiring landscape and crystal blue waters complement the beautiful coastline. The country also has a rich history going back to medieval times.
- Romania – You probably won’t find Dracula, but visiting Transylvania and seeing the ancient castles is something you should experience. If you are a nature lover, the Carpathian Mountains will hold great interest for you.
Find out how you can write a guest post for my site.