Will tough times hit everyone?

Discuss Francis Tapon's book, "Hike Your Own Hike: 7 Life Lessons from Backpacking Across America"
FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Will tough times hit everyone?

Post by FrancisTapon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:48 am

There was one more thing in chapter 2 I'd like to question if it's ok: In the section about how to know "when it's safe to summit", it says that there are 2 things we know, one of them being "Tough times will come".
Do you think the "tough times" will HAVE TO come? I think this is more of a possibility rather than a sure thing. I believe it's in our power (of mind) to manage what happens to us, as long as we understand the rules of life (tooootally separate topic). That sentence to some people might sound more like a verdict. It's understandable you want people to be prepared just in case IF the tough times come. Also people that tend to want to read self-help books are in need to make their lives happier and are most likely sensitive and are looking for positive affirmations. That is why I think that statement might create some negative feelings in their minds. So maybe instead of "Tough times will come" there could be something like…Be ready for possible tough times.(in a sense that hope for the best, be ready for the worst).
- Yuliya
You’re a perceptive reader. I choose my words carefully and I certainly struggled with that sentence when I wrote it. I finally kept it as “will comeâ€
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

yulsart

Re: Will tough times hit everyone?

Post by yulsart » Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:42 pm

I'm impressed with how precisely you interpreted my thoughts in regards to this topic. Agree that it helps to have a "trained mind" or natural ability to approach challenges with "no challenge is really a challenge" kind of attitude. How did you get to this point of view? Would you say it's your natural ability or something you've learned from different resources throughout your life or combination of both?

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Will tough times hit everyone?

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:23 am

Most of who we are is a combo of genes and environment. When I was in my 20s I thought it was mostly environment. Lately, I've concluded the opposite. Still, I don't know if it's 60/40 or 80/20 or 90/30 (just testing your math skills ;) ).

On the other hand, I'm a terrible example of the "it's mostly genetics" theory. Both my mom and dad are quite emotional. Being emotional impedes your ability to train your mind to be relaxed and shake off misfortune. Some may argue that because my parents were so emotional that I reacted to that and learned to approach life more calmly and rationally. However, that would mean that the way we are is mostly environment and not genetics.... :roll:

However, the genetic fans point out, there's always those recessive genes that skip generations... :twisted:

In conclusion, you can indeed learn to have this relaxed attitude. I'm proof that it's possible since my parents weren't particular good at this skill.

The next question you may have is, how do you develop those skills? For that, read Chapter 7 of Hike Your Own Hike. It's delves into that topic exclusively! :)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com