Is there an 8th Principle?

Discuss Francis Tapon's book, "Hike Your Own Hike: 7 Life Lessons from Backpacking Across America"

Do you think there is an 8th Principle?

Yes
33%
No
67%
Not sure
No votes

Total votes: 3

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Is there an 8th Principle?

Post by FrancisTapon » Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:53 pm

When I thru-hiked the AT I had plenty of time to think about what are the principles that one should follow to get the most out of life. I believe the seven Principles I describe in my book are comprehensive and there's no need to have an 8th Principle.

On the PCT I wasn't able to come up with an 8th Principle. Then again, I wasn't really trying too hard to think about it. :oops:

To be a Principle, it ought to be essential to follow. In other words, before submitting an idea, ask yourself: "Can I get the most out of life without following this Principle?"

If the answer is YES, then it's not a Principle having the same stature as the other seven.

If the answer is NO, then ask yourself if the concept is already covered in one of the seven Principles. If none of the seven Principles cover it, then please post the idea and we'll debate it!

I also promise to debate it in my brain while I yo-yo the CDT!
I hope to come up with an answer by the end of the CDT!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Is Flexibility the 8th Principle?

Post by FrancisTapon » Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:18 pm

I like asking backpackers what backpacking has taught them about life.

Basmati, a fellow I hiked with on the PCT, said that his big lesson is to be flexible.

Although I don't call out that concept as one of the 7 Principles, it's making me think if I should make it the 8th Principle.

Right now I'm leaning to no.

The concept of Flexibility is embedded in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th Principles.

Therefore, I think I've got it covered, but perhaps someone out there disagrees or has another idea... :idea:
- Francis Tapon

dplant7

Number 8?

Post by dplant7 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:44 am

:? Here is "my" humble opinion for what it's worth ...

If Steven Covey settled on "7" (The Seven Habits of Highly Successful People)
and
God's "perfect" number is "7"
I'm thinking
Francis Tapon's "7" Life Lessons from Backpacking Across America" is just fine.

Why mess with success?

Ordered FT's "Hike your own Hike" this morning ...

Cheers
dplant 8)

captn

8th Principal

Post by captn » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:14 am

Yes .... there is an 8th principal ...

Feed your head ..... make sure that your mind stays active and engaged.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Feed Your Brain Principle

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:43 pm

OOOhhhh! That's a great suggestion! 8)

I suppose I take it for granted. I love to feed (and overfeed) my brain, and I assume that others like to do that too, but that's a wrong assumption!

Can you get the most out of life without feeding your brain? Let's say you're not curious and a knowledge magnet. Can you still get the most out of life?

Obviously, life long learning increases your odds of happiness and fulfillment; however, is it an essential ingredient?

Good question. I'll have to think it over.... ;)

Great suggestion! 8)
- Francis Tapon

dallas

Harmony

Post by dallas » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:19 am

First of all, congratulations on your yo-yo. Awesome accomplishment and thanks for posting your thoughts along the way.

Pondering the 8th principle while browsing your writings.....

It seems that hikers (and others) who get the greatest joy out of the trail (and life in general) seem to be able to truly accept the difficulties along with the joys they experience along the trail.

Perhaps this is more of an underlying theme rather than a principle, but something along the lines of "hike in harmony with the situation" seems to be a principle among of hikers who enjoy their hikes the most.

Based on personal experience (both good and bad) and having read a number of trail journals it seems that when we accept whatever circumstances we encounter, we tend to have more joy along the journey than when we 'wish things were different', or fighting against whatever preconceived notions we had about the trail when we were planning the hike.

dallas

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Harmony

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:35 am

dallas wrote: Perhaps this is more of an underlying theme rather than a principle, but something along the lines of "hike in harmony with the situation" seems to be a principle among of hikers who enjoy their hikes the most.
Dallas, that's a great suggestion!

It kind of goes along with another candidate for the 8th principle: flexibility.

In other words, the importance of going with the flow and loving the cards that you're dealt instead of wishing you had different cards.

So far I'm on the fence between this concept of hiking in harmony with the situation (i.e., flexibility), and the concept of "don't hike alone."

I appreciate your input! :)

Thank you!
- Francis Tapon

dallas

Post by dallas » Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:02 pm

Oh.... I like the principle of "don't hike alone". Relationships are ultimately much more important than an individual hike (or other life situation).

This while pondering the fact that I generally prefer to hike alone and the fact that you seem to have hiked the CDT twice virtually alone.

Maybe I just have to get in harmony with "not hiking alone"! :wink: