How do you travel and write for a living?

Discuss Francis Tapon's book, "Hike Your Own Hike: 7 Life Lessons from Backpacking Across America"
FrancisTapon
Site Admin

How do you travel and write for a living?

Post by FrancisTapon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:34 pm

My name is Andy Laub and I am a journalism student at Emerson College in Boston. I came across your site after I hit a link from the Pacific Crest Trail website. I then read your profile piece published by the San Francisco Chronicle.

I was inspired by your story. Also, I'm interested in how you made it into a living; writing about it, getting sponsors etc. When I read the profile piece in the San Francisco Chronicle, I felt like I was reading a piece of myself. I have run marathons and done week-long backpack trips in the past, but it has never completely satisfied/tested me. I am always in motion and have felt constrained staying in one place to work and finish my degree. There has always been a strong urge, deep down, to drop everything (after I graduate) to go out and hike/kayak as far as possible, writing about/capturing it with pictures and video, and make that into my living. I'm just not sure how to do it.

I would love to attend "Hike your own Hike" on the 26th, but being in Boston, I have a minor setback, ha ha. So any advice on how to prepare for long trips; where to go; how to get sponsors; things to expect on the trail, would all be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

All best
-Andy Laub
Andy,

The good news is that kayaking/hiking for a living isn't as hard as you might think. There are two things to consider: income and expenses.

Fortunately, income isn't a problem for most Americans. It's easy to make over $30,000 a year.

The challenge is learning to live on just $10,000. We have a tendency to raise our expenses to meet our income. My business school classmates tell me that they can't survive on less than $200,000 a year.

When I suggest living with roommates, ditching the car, stop buying clothes, cooking at home, drinking only water, and bringing your lunch to work, then they say: "Oh, that's too extreme! I can't do that!"

If they learned to live on just $20,000 a year, they would have over $80,000 saved (after taxes). You can travel for a long time on $80k.

One friend of mine gave up her apartment to live in her car. Although she only lasted a few months, I commend her efforts to live simply.

In short, I encourage you to live below your means. Once you've done that, then the world opens up to you. I write about it in Chapter 2 of my book. Please read it.

You can make money guiding kayak or backpacking trips. Outfitters are always looking for people. Or take a job that makes real money, live like a monk for several years, and then go off and explore the world on your own terms.

I've gotten this question so many times, I've written a long post about it. Check out how you can travel the world months or years.

Regarding sponsors, please read my post on how to get sponsors.

I hope that helps.

Good luck,
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: How do you travel and write for a living?

Post by FrancisTapon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:28 am

Today I got this nice email from Hector:
I am looking forward to getting started on reading it during the winter break. I am 21 years old and am attending community college at the moment. I have not traveled beyond visiting family in mexico, but it seems this is something i want to spend my life doing. I love expanding my mind and stimulating it with experiences rather than materials. Been at CC for about 3 years now, aiming for a career in either the natural science or the health sciences but i feel that i have been pressured by external sources to aim for a career which pays really good. (mainly out of fear of student loan debt, and ive been hearing that travel is really expensive) Last night i came across your site and it was REAL eye opener. I realize that my passion does not lie in making the most money as possible but rather making enough to live comfortably (which is relative of course) and spending my time traveling, but i also have a passion for good health so i am trying to find a career which incorporates this. I feel your book will be a big inspiration to me and will help me decide which way i want to move forward with my life. I will let you know my thoughts on it once i finish up reading it. Thanks for the inspiration your website gave me last night, truly an eye opener.
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com