Using your book as a text for a class

Discuss Francis Tapon's upcoming book, "The Hidden Europe: What Eastern Europeans Can Teach Us."
PEdie

Using your book as a text for a class

Post by PEdie » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:30 pm

My husband and I are members of a Learning-in-Retirement organization in So. California. We are a peer-learning organization so we design our own curriculum, coordinate our classes and we teach each other. A subject for study that interests us is Eastern Europe. Many of us travel at this time in our lives and find ourselves now with the opportunity to explore countries in Eastern Europe that we know little about. I thought you would like to know that we have chosen your book as our "core text" for our upcoming 4 month long course. So, I can assure you of at least 16 more purchases of your book! We have 16 in the class and in addition to reading and discussing your book, each one of us will select a topic related to the course subject, do additional research on that topic and teach what we learn in a presentation to the rest of the class. So you can consider yourself a "virtual" member of the class!

As you consider what we plan to do, if you have any ideas for related topics we might want to explore in our independent research, we would welcome the suggestions. The class will begin meeting in January and go through April of 2013.

My husband and I were personally pleased to note that you make donations to two of our favorite enterprises...Wiki Media Foundation and Kiva.org!

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Using your book as a text for a class

Post by FrancisTapon » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Thank you very much for picking my book! While I was writing it, I thought that it would make a good college text book. However, I assumed my non-academic writing style and 3-4 titillating scenes would ban it from most colleges. Still, many have told me that they wish my book was in their college reading list - they would have paid more attention in class and would have learned more. ;)

Please let me know how it goes. If I'm in SoCA, I'll try to come by and be a guest speaker. Or, if your school can pay for the transportation, I can fly there. I leave for Africa in Feb 2013, so it better be quick!

Thank you!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com