Milage on the CDT

Discuss Francis Tapon's 2007 CDT Yo-Yo hike or specific issues about the CDT.
nels

Milage on the CDT

Post by nels » Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:41 pm

I see that on your schedule you hiked (or were supposed to hike) about 35 miles per day. I am planning a hike in colorado in early August that will take me along the CDT for several days. Now clearly you are in excellent shape, but what I am wondering is if I will be able to sustain about 15 miles a day. I am by no means in bad physical condition but I am not exactly in top condition either. Any input will be helpful.

Thanks

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Who can sustain 15 miles per day in Colorado?

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:34 pm

If you're in average shape (e.g., you can climb several flights of stairs without needing long breaks on your way up), then you can hike 15 miles a day in Colorado in early August.

The #1 secret to doing more miles than you think you can do is getting an early start! Wake up at 5 a.m., eat something, and start hiking! Enjoy the sunrise! Before you know it, you'll have 5-10 miles in before noon! If thunderstorms come in the afternoon, you can wait them out and not feel any pressure since you'll have most of your 15 miles done.

The #2 secret is learning to love going uphill and taking them steadily and as fast as comfortable. Don't go so fast that you need to take a break. Find an uphill pace that you can sustain for 30 minutes or more without a break. Just poke along steadily and vigorously. It's more important to move steadily than to sprint and stop.

Most healthy people could have walked next to me on the CDT. I was never walking fast. A 63-year old man hiked with me for half a day on the CDT.

Do the math: The reason I could do 35+ miles was I woke up early (4-5am) and finished late (9-10pm). Doing 15 hours of hiking at 3 miles an hour, gives you 45 miles. Doing 2 miles an hour (very modest pace), gives you 30 miles. So I walked just a bit faster than 2 miles an hour and found doing at least 35 miles a day sustainable. I'm not superman and I'm convinced that most people, with a bit of training can do what I did (if they wanted to).

Doing 15 miles/day in Colorado is a lot of work, but if you wake up early and tackle those uphills with a steady pace (even just 1 mph), then you'll achieve your goal! 8)

Happy trails! :)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

nels

Post by nels » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Wow thanks for the prompt reply! Your strategy makes sense and I will probably adopt a similar routine.

I have learned a lot from your site and it has been entertaining to read your journals as well. Keep having fun and have a great summer.

-Sean

Wrongway

Re: Milage on the CDT

Post by Wrongway » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:56 pm

Great idea. Going to try it this weekend.