How do you get sponsors?

Discuss Francis Tapon's 2007 CDT Yo-Yo hike or specific issues about the CDT.
FrancisTapon
Site Admin

How do you get sponsors?

Post by FrancisTapon » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:09 pm

I am inquiring about how you went about getting sponsors to hike the CDT. I thru-hiked the PCT last year and am looking to hike the CDT next year. I too want to eventually write a book but am looking for ways to raise money to do the hike and donate the rest to the trail fund.

look forward to hearing from you.
best,
Lesli "sunflower"

"NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST"
Sunflower: You're on the one right track. Many people who want sponsors think of getting and not giving.

To paraphrase JFK: Ask not what sponsors can do for you, ask what you can do for your sponsors.

The CEO of GoLite said that I was the first person to ever send him a sponsorship proposal with the section called "ROI" (Return On Investment). That shows that often times people don't consider that companies want to get something out of the experience beyond just the feeling that they're helping someone who needs help.

That's normal: most people don't toss money for beggars, but are more likely to give to street musicians who are providing a service (i.e., entertainment). When you seek sponsors, don't be a beggar - offer something in return for the donation. :idea:

In your proposal, try to answer these questions:
  • How will you market their brand?
    How much visibility will you get?
    Why you and not someone else?
    How do we know you will publish a book?
    How many books will you sell?
    How prominently will you display our logo and where?
Four more points:
1. I suggest approaching small companies rather than big ones. It's hard to get Nike to sponsor you (unless you have a connection).

2. Don't expect cash, especially from small companies. I have never received a check from any sponsor. They just give me gear. A few don't even give free gear, they just sell it to you at a steep discount. The outdoor companies (like most backpackers) are cash poor, so have low expectations. Yes, North Face (and others) sponsor amazing Everest expeditions, but unless you're doing something insanely extraordinary, don't expect cash.

3. Getting sponsors is often not worth the trouble. Factor in all the hours writing a proposal, calling, following up, and supporting them afterwards. You might conclude it's just easier to buy the GoLite jacket you want from eBay for $200 than go through all that hassle. Although getting food sponsors is great, do you really want to eat the same energy bar several times a day for months? Also, you might not like everything your sponsor makes. I've always had non-exclusive arrangements so I can pick and choose the best of breed in my gear and not carry/promote stuff I don't think is the best. Same with food - I've always had a couple of food sponsors to vary my diet.

4. On the other hand, if you intend to do many expeditions, it might be worthwhile establishing a relationship with a few sponsors. Once they've sponsored you once, it's much easier to get their support in the future (assuming you served them well). Eventually, you'll have companies calling you asking you to use their gear! That's a great position to be in! 8)

Good luck! 8)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: How do you get sponsors?

Post by FrancisTapon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:32 am

I got a question in French (which I'll translate)....
- Est-ce que tu penses que pour un voyage de 2 semaines/1 mois le sponsoring pourrait fonctionner ?
- Tu parles de sponsoring pour l'alimentation, je vois aussi pour les vêtements/matériels divers/transports. As-tu d'autres exemples de secteur où tu as pu expérimenter le sponsoring ?
Can you get sponsored for a trip for 2-4 weeks?

Sure! It may be easier than getting sponsorship for 2-4 years, like my Africa trip. It's a bit easier because you're more likely to complete it and the sponsorship cost is less. WherethehellisMatt.com became famous - his second trip was just a few weeks of him traveling around the world.

Just make sure you pick a theme that will focus on the sponsor - how will the sponsor benefit?

On the other hand, because your cost is less, you may find that it's not worth spending all the time it takes to find a sponsor.

Besides clothing and food sponsors, are there others we should consider?

There's no limit. People get sponsored by banks, car companies, and the government. A travel insurance company was considering sponsoring me to get publicity. It's just easier to get sponsorship from companies that are tightly related with whatever you're doing.

Still, there are exceptions. Returning to the wherethehellismatt example: who sponsored his crazy around the world trip? A chewing gum company. :o
- Francis Tapon

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: How do you get sponsors?

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:58 pm

A woman recently sent me a sponsorship proposal for feedback. This what I advised her:

My main suggestion is that you make four things:

1. An elevator pitch: a 1-sentence summary of your story and desire.
2. An executive summary: a 1-paragraph summary for the busy people to quickly evaluate you.
3. A one-page summary: for those who have more time - hit them with bullet points.
4. The detailed background: flesh out your story for the 5% of the people who will get past the first 3 hurdles.

When you contact people for sponsorship, you have to get to the point FAST. No time for poetry.

Imagine you have to evaluate 274 sponsorship proposals per day. And then yours lands on the desk. Make yours stand out.

These guys are BUSY and want to know everything in 10 seconds.

Good luck!
- Francis Tapon