CDT Vs. AT

Discuss Francis Tapon's 2007 CDT Yo-Yo hike or specific issues about the CDT.
lindseypoo555
Trusted Member

CDT Vs. AT

Post by lindseypoo555 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Having done the AT, do you think there is anything I should expect to be drastically different about the CDT? I am assuming that there isn't quite the same bond between hikers and the trail communities or as many hostels and chances to resupply, but I could be wrong. And as far as difficulty goes, the CDT maps don't appear to be any more difficult than the AT, but what do you think? Would all the same gear be fine too, or is there anything additional you would suggest bringing?
Thanks in advance, you are always so helpful!

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Continental Divide Trail vs. the Appalachian Trail

Post by FrancisTapon » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:33 pm

There's a significant difference between the Continental Divide Trail and the Appalachian Trail. The CDT is more like the Pacific Crest Trail than the AT. It's like the AT is the mom of two siblings: the PCT and CDT.

The most obvious difference is length: the CDT is 30-40% longer than the AT (the CDT is not as well defined as the AT, so there are ways to make it a longer or shorter trail).

Sometimes you'll find that people who live near the CDT hardly know the CDT exists. That's a big difference than the AT. People are still quite hospitable and friendly to the hikers. Hitchhiking isn't too hard either.

Although the maps might look similar, navigating is quite different. I didn't use one map on the AT because it was so well marked. On the CDT, I had a map in my hand half the time. Therefore, unlike the AT, you will need to know how to navigate on CDT, especially when you encounter snow.

The main gear difference is to take warm clothes. The AT is quite warm, especially in the summer. The CDT is cold at night most of the year.

Tell me how it goes! :)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

lindseypoo555
Trusted Member

Re: CDT Vs. AT

Post by lindseypoo555 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks! Thats very helpful! I can't wait till I go, but it will probably won't be for another 2 years.