CDT Maps, GPS, and Guidebooks

Discuss Francis Tapon's 2007 CDT Yo-Yo hike or specific issues about the CDT.
FrancisTapon
Site Admin

CDT Maps, GPS, and Guidebooks

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:20 am

Hi Francis,
Love your website. I am thinking of hiking the CDT in the near future(I have hiked the PCT, C.T. and most of the A.T) and although maps are very good, I would feel safer with a GPS. Not sure which one to buy. Any ideas? And being a complete technophobe, how do I get hold of and download a complete detailed set of waypoints so I don’t get lost?
I am thinking of doing a SOBO.
Also where can I get hold of a good guide book (same as I had on the PCT) that indicates water sources, elevate profiles, resupply towns, e.t.c?
Any help you can give would be much appreciated.
Chris
Chris,

I love the BackCountry Navigator App.
As you can see, you can import the CDT waypoints into your GPS.

If you want to avoid having a GPS/Smartphone that requires you to charge it, then get a GPS that runs on AA batteries.

With Jonathan Ley's CDT Maps, you really don't need a guidebook, since he points out water sources and towns on the topo maps.

However, you can consider the "Wolf CDT Guidebooks." They're a bit dated, but the trail hasn't changed that much.

Good luck!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: CDT Maps, GPS, and Guidebooks

Post by FrancisTapon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:34 am

Chris wrote:
As I am coming from N.Z. where should I make for ( I guess I’ll be flying into L.A) and should I book something in advance at a specific town? Do I need permits , like the PCT, to thru hike the CDT?

My main concern, apart from water en route, is where to get resupplies . What did you do? Did you have food ready for collection en route or what? Is it easy to resupply en route. How much food did you carry at one time on average?

Is the CDT trail easy to follow or will I need a GPS as well as maps? Where would you say the northern terminus is-that most hikers make for? Which maps did you use: Yogis or J.Ley’s or other? Can I download some on to a Smartphone?
1. I don't think you to book anything in advance.
2. No permits needed, although you need one for the national parks, I believe.
3. To get resupplies, use Jonathan Ley's maps. It's relatively easy to resupply (similar to the PCT, but not as easy as the AT).
4. I prepared my food in boxes ahead of time; my mom shipped them accordingly.
5. I carried about 4 days of food, on average.
6. You don't need a GPS (I didn't have one) if you can read maps well with a compass and altimeter.
7. I used Ley's maps (see link above).
8. You can download them on your smartphone. I recommend Backcountry Navigator (see above).

Good luck,
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com