Light comfy sleeping bag and backpack? Must take items?

Francis Tapon is visiting all 54 African countries from 2013-2017. Discuss his journey, the upcoming book, TV series, and documentary here.
FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Light comfy sleeping bag and backpack? Must take items?

Post by FrancisTapon » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:10 am

Would you have economic packing suggestions for a long backpacking trip in Asia or So America? Like what is the best comfortable & lightest weight backpack/sleeping bag, and what are some "must take items" for 3rd world contries?
When you say "backpacking" trip, I assume you mean it in the way people say they will "backpack through Europe" for a few months (i.e., you will sleep indoors more often than outdoors). Here are some suggestions that can apply to any kind of backpacking trip. 8)

1. My favorite sleeping bags are from Jacks R Better. I use the Rocky Mountain Sniveller Quilt. That's what I used on the CDT. You might consider their lighter (and cheaper) versions which aren't meant for sleeping in the snow! They are more blanket than bag. This is useful in hot places like Africa or where you're going because, as any one who sleep with a blanket knows, it's easier to regulate your temperature than with a fully enclosed sleeping bag, which can be claustrophobic. Moreover, they have the highest weight to warm ratio available. So they're light! And they're reasonably priced.

If you don't like the idea of blanket/quilt, then consider the bags by GoLite (their lightest is a blanket too)

2. My favorite backpack for traveling is the Mariposa Plus by Gossamer Gear. It's super light, yet strong to be thrown around. If you need more capacity, their Gorilla backpack might be good. If you won't be carrying a sleeping bag, then consider the Miniposa. They're all affordable and excellent quality.

3. "Must take list".
- I love a good hat (or two). A hat's weight is minimal, yet they keep you as warm as an extra jacket, since you lose 20-40% of your heat from you head.
- An umbrella is nice in hot places to protect against the sun and heavy rain (when it's too hot to wear a rain jacket, but you don't want to get soaked).
- I love taking minimal camping gear (about 2kg or 5 pounds total). It gives me the flexibility to sleep anywhere in case hostels are full or expensive. See my CDT Gear List for a complete list of everything you need to walk 9,000 km in the mountains. ;)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com