Advice for traveling to Slovenia

General posts about Eastern Europe and NOT directly related to Francis Tapon's upcoming book, "The Hidden Europe."
FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Advice for traveling to Slovenia

Post by FrancisTapon » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:18 am

I will look for and if I find your book on hiking I will buy the book. I enjoy being outside in the mountains. I now live on the Gulf Coast and summer is too hot for me.

This May, 2009 my wife, grand daughter and myself are traveling to Innsbruck, Austria. Our grand daughter graduates from high school and will be 18 years old in May. This is her gift and her first trip to Europe. We planned on Innsbruck because it is close to Germany and close to Italy. She will be able to visit 3 countries.

The following year ( 2010 ) I would like to see Slovenia and the Julian alps. Is it best to fly into Slovenia or fly to Italy and then take the train or fly into Austria and then take the train?

What is a good town to stay in to see the Julian alps?
How is the best way to travel to the Julian alps in Slovenia?
Are the people friendly?
Do you have any advice or helpful tips for this trip?
We shall stay about 10 or 11 days.
Bill
Bill, I don't have a good recommendation on how to get to Slovenia. All the options you mention are doable and enjoyable. If you want to visit Austria and/or Italy, then just pick whatever airfare is the cheapest and launch your trip from there. Trains and buses are plentiful. So you can't go wrong!

Best town by the Julian Alps: Bled.

I prefer taking buses and trains, although I'm not sure if there are tour buses that take you into the alps. I backpacked into them. Renting cars and gas is very expensive in Europe, but if you can afford it, then you might like the independence, especially if there are more than two of you.

Slovenians are not only friendly, but most speak English. Most Eastern European countries don't have such a high percentage of English speakers.

My only advice is to visit the Skocjan Caves in Slovenia. They're awesome! Also, climb Mt. Triglav! It's a great day hike. :)

Tell me how it goes!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

akash30

Re: Advice for traveling to Slovenia

Post by akash30 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:55 pm

I am looking for some advice. As I have planned to travel Slovenia as well as Lake Tahoe in the upcoming summer. I am in need of some suggestions as where to stay over there as well as the famous food etc.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Advice for traveling to Slovenia

Post by FrancisTapon » Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:52 pm

I'm sorry for the slow response, but let us know what you learned from your trip to Slovenia.
I lived there for a year.
This thread mentioned the caves.
What food did you like?
I prefer food from Serbia and Montenegro.
I'm a sucker for the Italian cuisine influence near Koper.
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com