Medical coverage

General posts about Eastern Europe and NOT directly related to Francis Tapon's upcoming book, "The Hidden Europe."
tacomabike
Trusted Member

Medical coverage

Post by tacomabike » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:20 pm

What do you do for medical coverage/insurance while you are traveling ?

Steve B

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Medical coverage

Post by FrancisTapon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:14 am

Steve: I think you asked this on one of my comment forms, but I can't seem to find where that was. (I'm having minor issues with my comment forms, but will fix.) Sorry for the delay.

Three options:

1. I used Kaiser (a California-based HMO). It was about $150-200/month. If something bad happened while I was away from California, then I would pay for it, submit the receipts, and they would reimburse me. I never had to use it, but I suppose it should work.

2. Get specific international travel insurance. This is a separate, private insurance, which can be expensive, especially if you want them to cover you going to extreme places or doing extreme activities (which I tend to do!). It's about $250-500, although I didn't shop around too hard. The advantage is that they specialize in international travel, so presumably they should have less paper work and hassles. But again, I've never had to use it.

3. No insurance! I've done this for few years too! The idea is that if you're paying $200/month, then that's $2,400/yr. If you break your arm, most countries will treat you and even if you have to pay out of pocket, the fee may be less than $2,400, especially if you're going to the dentist once a year or getting anti-biotics, or whatever minor ailment. It's a risky strategy. But if you're poor, you may have no other choice. Frankly, I don't think the risk is as bad as most people think. Finally, medical insurance companies will (understandably) do their best not to pay more or anything. That's their job. So if you broke your leg climbing a peak in Africa, then they may say that it's not part of your coverage.

Most importantly, eat well, exercise everyday, and sleep soundly. That's the best insurance around. 8)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

tacomabike
Trusted Member

Post by tacomabike » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:24 am

Thanks for the info !

I just went to the dentist ... $175 for a 6 month check up and cleaning

Thx,
Steve

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:36 am

Good data point. When I got my annual teeth cleaning in Serbia, it cost me $0.00.

OK, so the dentist was a friend of a friend and it was a dental school student doing it, but the point is that medical care is far cheaper than the US in most places in the world. The standard Serbian dentist would have charged me $50-100. Paying for everything out-of-pocket isn't such a crazy risk when you're healthy.

Even major procedures can be cheaper, which is why people fly to South America to get dental work (or other stuff) done.
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com