Moving to Montenegro

General posts about Eastern Europe and NOT directly related to Francis Tapon's upcoming book, "The Hidden Europe."
FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Moving to Montenegro

Post by FrancisTapon » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:42 am

I got this email today:
i'm considering selling up and settling in montenegro as i find the place appealing despite having never visited the area.
i'm seeking solitude, warm weather, and a slower pace of life than belfast.
what are the natives like? friendly?i feel i could quite happily exist with my dog and car, knowing that a short flight will bring me home to see friends and relatives.
is hte cost of living cheap. are they're internet cafe's there. do many speak english.
sorry for all the questions but i feel your honest opinion is helpful.
many thanks. ruby
Ruby: Although I been to Ireland (see www.francistapon.com/europe/ireland.htm), I have never been to Belfast, so it will be hard for me to compare Montenegro with Belfast. Nevertheless, here is my response:

The Montenegrins are not as friendly as the Irish people. Although their country is lovely, they've had a rough history, which makes them a tad grumpy, like many Eastern Europeans.

Obviously, you can find wonderful, loving, and friendly people anywhere, but compared to the Irish, Montenegrins are more cautious.

The "short flight" you desire might not be that "short" or it might not be that cheap. There are no well traffic airports near the Montenegrin coast. Because of the limited services, flights are usually expensive. I encourage you to research this and prove me wrong.

The cost of living is cheap, but getting higher all the time. As I describe at www.francistapon.com/europe/montenegro.htm I was seriously considering moving to Montenegro. The house that I describe was 120,000 Euros in 2004. Today it is 500,000 Euros. I should have bought it, but alas, that's life. The takeaway is that the costs are rising, although still far below Ireland.

There are Net cafes, and you can get high speed Net access in your home in most places.

The Euro is the national currency.

Probably 20% speak English. You'll definitely need to learn the Montenegrin language, which is basically the same as Serbian (and Croatian). You could survive on English, but it would be a far more rich experience if you can speak the local language. :wink:

In short, I encourage you to visit Montenegro! 8)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

Petar
Trusted Member

Post by Petar » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:11 pm

Hi,my name is Petar and I am from beatifull country of Montenegro :D .
First of all I would like to say that I enjoyed reading your texts about Balkan countries.I read them all in one reading(if you understand what i want to say,I am not fluent english speaker so I may make some mistakes) and that took me about 6 hours.I was absolutely delighted with(or by?) your hilarious coments on the prejudice of Balkan people.As I see you liked Kotor,but I must say that you missed a lot by not visiting northern(mountineous) part of Montenegro.Lot has changed since you were here,Montenegro become independent country,we finaly get rid of Serbia(tipically balcanic,isnt it? :lol: ),country has modernised-even Podgorica is now nice little Europian city that is worth seeing and prices went up,esspecially those of real estates.We gained our independence peacefully(although,Serbia was not to happy about it) and we remainded the only ex-Yu republic on which teritory there was no war.I love my country very much and I enjoy reading other people's impresions about my country,so I would like to ask you to write more about your impressions on montenegrin people,to compare Montenegro to other Balkan countries...Also,in your opinion,do we have the chance to ever become the part of the ½civilised½ world?
BTW-Just to let you know,new constitution of Montenegro has been adopted and official languages are:Montenegrin,Serbian,Bosnian,Croatian and Albanian-step forward...i guess :D .

Keep up the good work!
Best Regards from Montenegro!

Petar
Trusted Member

Re: Moving to Montenegro

Post by Petar » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:20 pm

FrancisTapon wrote:I got this email today:
i'm considering selling up and settling in montenegro as i find the place appealing despite having never visited the area.
i'm seeking solitude, warm weather, and a slower pace of life than belfast.
what are the natives like? friendly?i feel i could quite happily exist with my dog and car, knowing that a short flight will bring me home to see friends and relatives.
is hte cost of living cheap. are they're internet cafe's there. do many speak english.
sorry for all the questions but i feel your honest opinion is helpful.
many thanks. ruby
Ruby: Although I been to Ireland (see www.francistapon.com/europe/ireland.htm), I have never been to Belfast, so it will be hard for me to compare Montenegro with Belfast. Nevertheless, here is my response:

The Montenegrins are not as friendly as the Irish people. Although their country is lovely, they've had a rough history, which makes them a tad grumpy, like many Eastern Europeans.

Obviously, you can find wonderful, loving, and friendly people anywhere, but compared to the Irish, Montenegrins are more cautious.

The "short flight" you desire might not be that "short" or it might not be that cheap. There are no well traffic airports near the Montenegrin coast. Because of the limited services, flights are usually expensive. I encourage you to research this and prove me wrong.

The cost of living is cheap, but getting higher all the time. As I describe at www.francistapon.com/europe/montenegro.htm I was seriously considering moving to Montenegro. The house that I describe was 120,000 Euros in 2004. Today it is 500,000 Euros. I should have bought it, but alas, that's life. The takeaway is that the costs are rising, although still far below Ireland.

There are Net cafes, and you can get high speed Net access in your home in most places.

The Euro is the national currency.

Probably 20% speak English. You'll definitely need to learn the Montenegrin language, which is basically the same as Serbian (and Croatian). You could survive on English, but it would be a far more rich experience if you can speak the local language. :wink:

In short, I encourage you to visit Montenegro! 8)

I would just add that criminal level is very low.It is very unlikely that someone will still from you(but it is possible,esspecially in summer when lot of tourists comes to Montenegro).Also,there is problem with water supplies shortages in costal region during summer and there are daily water restrictions 3-4 hours a day.Except that-Montenegro is nice place for living.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Montenegro entering the civilized world

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:17 pm

Petar wrote:Balkan countries...Also,in your opinion,do we have the chance to ever become the part of the ½civilised½ world?
Yes, it's already there!

When I was Belarus, the locals had a low self esteem of their country. They asked me what I thought about the standard of living in their country, overall, on a 1-10 scale.

I said, "5."

They were surprised, because they think their country is terrible. But it is much better to live in Belarus (or Montenegro) than to live in Sudan, Iraw, or Somalia). There are 192 countries in the world and most of them are not as nice or civilized as Montenegro. So you should be happy and proud of how good things are there!

Thank you for your posts and for reading all my crazy adventures in Eastern Europe!

Although I have not returned to Montenegro since 2004, I hope to return. Also, the house in Kotor that I was interested in buying went from a price of 120,000 Euros to 500,000 Euros in 4 years! That's crazy! :!:

I hope to revisit your country in 2008!
- Francis Tapon

Petar
Trusted Member

Re: Montenegro entering the civilized world

Post by Petar » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:57 pm

FrancisTapon wrote:
Petar wrote:Balkan countries...Also,in your opinion,do we have the chance to ever become the part of the ½civilised½ world?
Yes, it's already there!

When I was Belarus, the locals had a low self esteem of their country. They asked me what I thought about the standard of living in their country, overall, on a 1-10 scale.

I said, "5."

They were surprised, because they think their country is terrible. But it is much better to live in Belarus (or Montenegro) than to live in Sudan, Iraw, or Somalia). There are 192 countries in the world and most of them are not as nice or civilized as Montenegro. So you should be happy and proud of how good things are there!

Thank you for your posts and for reading all my crazy adventures in Eastern Europe!

Although I have not returned to Montenegro since 2004, I hope to return. Also, the house in Kotor that I was interested in buying went from a price of 120,000 Euros to 500,000 Euros in 4 years! That's crazy! :!:

I hope to revisit your country in 2008!

Thank you for answering!I am happy that you think that way.
When you publish your book I would be very glad to buy it if it is ever availiable in Montenegro or one of the neighbouring countries.

waluyo
Trusted Member

Post by waluyo » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:00 pm

I have a question for Petra cause I'm going soon to Montenegro.

I had in mind to complete a part or even the entire CT-1, this apparently famous trail which goes East-West through the country. (from Veruša to Žabljak) I'm planning 4 days to complete the trail... I hope I'm not too confident in myself :oops:

I'm arriving on the 15th in Beograd and was thinking to go by train to Podgorica to find a hiking map before going in the countryside...

but do you have any suggestions?! maybe it's even possible to find it in Žabljak? in this case, I would go directly to Zabljak from Beograd... in my guide book, it is said that this connexion is possible.

I don't know how hard it will be to find those maps... can you give me some tips where to find it? I saw that a few maps are available in the online shop of visit-montenegro.com but I don't have time to order it... as I'm leaving soon.

Otherwise, maybe you think that there are better places to visit and hike than the trail I'm thinking to do?! please tell me if you have better ideas!

:)

the second week, some friends of mine (from hungary) will meet me somewhere in Montenegro and we will go for another short hike (2 or 3 days) and then visit the coastal area. Any suggestions?

The final question is about the common transportation... I didn't find yet good information about the bus... (schedule, frequency, price...) Can you tell me more?
what about hitchhiking?

thanks a lot.

Hope you get this message...

I'm leaving for a couple of days in the Cévennes in France. I'll be back on Saturday.

Hopefully I'll get an answer... :)

Sincerely,

Xavier

PS:This is my first message... so I wanted to greet Francis! thanks for your website and your annecdotes. You're just TOO great!! ;) 'Love what you're doing!! :D

Petar
Trusted Member

Post by Petar » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:15 pm

waluyo wrote:I have a question for Petra cause I'm going soon to Montenegro.

I had in mind to complete a part or even the entire CT-1, this apparently famous trail which goes East-West through the country. (from Veruša to Žabljak) I'm planning 4 days to complete the trail... I hope I'm not too confident in myself :oops:

I'm arriving on the 15th in Beograd and was thinking to go by train to Podgorica to find a hiking map before going in the countryside...

but do you have any suggestions?! maybe it's even possible to find it in Žabljak? in this case, I would go directly to Zabljak from Beograd... in my guide book, it is said that this connexion is possible.

I don't know how hard it will be to find those maps... can you give me some tips where to find it? I saw that a few maps are available in the online shop of visit-montenegro.com but I don't have time to order it... as I'm leaving soon.

Otherwise, maybe you think that there are better places to visit and hike than the trail I'm thinking to do?! please tell me if you have better ideas!

:)

the second week, some friends of mine (from hungary) will meet me somewhere in Montenegro and we will go for another short hike (2 or 3 days) and then visit the coastal area. Any suggestions?

The final question is about the common transportation... I didn't find yet good information about the bus... (schedule, frequency, price...) Can you tell me more?
what about hitchhiking?

thanks a lot.

Hope you get this message...

I'm leaving for a couple of days in the Cévennes in France. I'll be back on Saturday.

Hopefully I'll get an answer... :)

Sincerely,

Xavier

PS:This is my first message... so I wanted to greet Francis! thanks for your website and your annecdotes. You're just TOO great!! ;) 'Love what you're doing!! :D
Hi Waluyo,
As far as I know you will have no problem finding those maps in Žabljak,but I am not 100% sure.I will call tourist organization tomorow and give you answer.CT1 is very good route and it is very dificult,but I think you should be able to finish it in four days,but you will have to put up much effort in it.Biogradska Gora with Biogradsko Lake is very nice place and is must see.
Whole Montenegrin coast area is worth seeing and if you have time you should take toure from Herceg Novi to Ulcinj.But if you dont have that much time in coastal area you MUST visit Kotor,Budva and you can take ferry from Tivat and see Herceg Novi.
You should also visit Cetinje,and,by my opinion mount Lovćen is must see.There is a monument of our greatest poet and one of the greatest leaders Petar II Petrović NjegoÅ¡.Cetinje is about 30-40 minutes driving away of Podgorica(by bus) when you go towards Budva(from PG),and mount Lovćen is about 20 minutes driving from Cetinje.I think that you would like it very much.It is said that when it is clear sky you can see coast of Italy from Lovćen.
All of this would be much esier for you if you have your own car.If not,there are buses frequently.
One more thing-when you arrive in coastal area I think that you should visit a number of small beaches that streches through entire coast(for ex.:Blue Horizonts(Plavi horizonti),KraÅ¡ići...).They are pleasent,quiet places where you can relax.
You should also visit Skadar Lake...
All in all there is no smaller land than Montenegro that is richer with interest places :D .Where ever you go you will find something interesting to see :wink: .
If you want I can give you exact time when buses are leaving,you just tell me from where to where you want to travel by bus.
Sory for my bad english.
Cheers!

Petar
Trusted Member

Post by Petar » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:34 pm

I forgot to mention manastir(monastery) Ostrog that is placed about 40 kilometers away from Pogorica towards NikÅ¡ić.It is absolutely must see place and you should go by foot from donji(opposite to upper,dont know how to translate :lol: ) to upper monastery.Upper monastery is built in into the cliff.Remains of one of our most honoured saints Sveti Vasilije OstroÅ¡ki(st Vasilije of Ostrog) are kept in this monastery.
Please visit this place if you have time and means.
p.s.I didnt check are there maps available in Žabljak,but will do that in the next couple of days.
Please write about your experience in Montenegro(bad or good) when you return!I like to know what foreigners think about my land.
Regards!

waluyo
Trusted Member

Post by waluyo » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:46 am

OK... I'm back home, a bit earlier than expected :D

Hi Petar!

First of all, thanks for your answer! That was nice!!

Don't worry about your english... héhé :lol: look at me: learning and practicing english for years, and still so bad... arggg... Foreign languages are quite a big problem for us, french people... :roll: and this is not a legend!! :lol: but I try to do my best...
At least, I'm understood... so I guess that this the most important!! ;)

Indeed, I won't have so much time in front of me to visit Montenegro... I'll be arriving by bus in Beograd on the 15th, and will have to leave from there on the 30th...but it's better than nothing.

I'm thinking to head to Montenegro as fast as possible... then, if I have too much time left, I will visit Beograd and a bit of Serbia, but not sure yet.

I'm still thinking to go to Podgorica first... to get all the maps and gather all information needed. I'm afraid not to be able to find the maps of Biogradska gora, the Komovi and Tara river region in Žabljak. So that's why I prefer to give first a short visit to your capital city! I think that it will be the best place to find the maps.
I still have in mind to hike along the CT-1, even though I was told that the track is not really well maintained and sometimes difficult to find... but if your maps are OK, that should be alright ;)

Then, I will go to Veruša or nearby... (this is closer from Podgorica) to start to hike... Do you know by chance the bus schedule from Podgorica to Veruša on the 16th or 17th? Is there any internet website where I can check that? (I didn't find it yet)
Hopefully, I'll be able to arrive in Žabljak in time to meet my hungarian friends.
As they are with a vehicle, we can see then what we will do all together...

I suppose that we'll be in the coastal region in the weekend of the 25th-27th of July. That is not much... unfortunately.

I'm quite happy, because I received today the Cicerone guide "the mountains of Montenegro" ... I will start to read it today.... and maybe will change all my plans... ;)

When I'll be back I will try to write something interesting about my experience in Montenegro... ;) (I'm very bad at writting).
Now that I'm free (understand that I'm finished with my studies and worries... ;) ) I will have more time to update my damned website which is still totally empty :roll:
I will send you the link to the page if you're interested. :)

Thanks for all!!

Sincerely,

Xavier
Xav'

Vince from Contis

Des français au Montenegro

Post by Vince from Contis » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:04 pm

I saw this discussion while I was looking for some information about the TRAIL CT-1 in Montenegro. I mostly have the same trip project than Xavier. 2nd time for me in montenegro!! Xavier if you find anything concerning this trek I might be intersted as well. I have ordered the same book concerning The Mountains of Montenegro but still waiting for it. I will be there end of august and I will really appreciate if you could give me your feed-back about your trip and your advices as well of course. Tiens moi au courant de ton parcours, ca m'interesse bien sur. A très vite j'espère alors. Vincent
Vincent

waluyo
Trusted Member

Post by waluyo » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:17 am

Did it! :D

Ok, I am still in Montenegro (currently in Bar) but I will be home by
the 31st of July...

So I will be able to write more about the CT-1...

for now, I will just say that the hike goes through wonderful areas,
is worth to complete, but the maps are impossible to get... so you
will have to print your own maps from home (there is a website where
you can download military maps - i will give you the adress later,
when I get back home, because I do not remember it and it is hidden
somewhere in my backpack- :D). I got these maps from my "trail angels"
(a so nice couple from Croatia I met on the first day)... To be
entirely honest, it would never have been possible to complete the
trail without those maps... or at least in time.
It took me 4 days to arrive in Zabljak (well actually in Njegovuda
where I met my hungarian friend I was supposed to meet on sunday) but
yeah... I did put much effort in it... It is not impossible to make
it in 4 days... even maybe less. But I suggest to do it in 5 days (or
6 or even more if you want to take it easy). and to go Light!!! :D

in a few words... the hike is easy... it doesn t ever go to airy and
exposed trails. Most of the trail maybe 60 percent is along big trails
where a 4 wheels drive can go... sometimes super easy to follow (good
marking), sometimes not at all (that is when you need the maps)
I got lost a few times!!! (but I didn t have all the maps) was
depressing sometimes!!

many places where you can resupply in food... and a lot of "katuns"
where you will be invited and sometimes given food... (at least, it
was the case for me since I was alone)

in few words, it was super cool! I will write more when I get back home.
See you!
Xav'

Vince from Contis

Good news!!

Post by Vince from Contis » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi Xavier,

This is a very good news - I am getting impatient to have more information about that and the confirmation for web site where I can get (military) maps from this region.
I think I saw this website before.

I am leaving on the 18th to Podgorica with my girl friend. We should start the trail by the 20th I guess.

More details will be welcome as you say.

enjoy the end of the trip and we will chat when you will be back

Congratulation for acheving this trekking.

Vince
Vincent

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Residency Visas and Internet in Montenegro & Serbia

Post by FrancisTapon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:24 pm

I got this question:
Hey Francis,

Great blog on Kotor and Montenegro. I am a Canadian Citizen currently living in Baja California, Mexico. I do remote computer support and can and do work from anywhere.

Looking at moving to Montenegro or Serbia full-time. Would love to get your insight and keep in touch with you.

I have questions like Residency Visas and the availability of the Internet.

Thanks in advanced, for your response.

Cheers (your Mexican-Canadian friend), Ryan
Ryan: I do know that Montenegro has Internet Cafes. So don't worry about that.

I don't know the answer about Residency Visas and I hope someone else can help you. Search for the embassy website for Serbia and Montenegro. They should have info there. :)
- Francis Tapon