PCT SOBO - Best Time to Start?

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

davepotter

PCT SOBO - Best Time to Start?

Post by davepotter » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:18 am

Hi, I am an experienced hiker from the UK planning to hike the PCT. Time, travel and personal constraints have lead me to consider hiking southbound to Yosemite in 2010 and then northbound to Yosemite in 2011. Around what dates should I leave Canada for the 2010 hike which would give me the optimum trail conditions, particularly with reference to snow levels and trail navigation? Many thanks. Dave

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: PCT SOBO - Best Time to Start?

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:58 am

I would recommend starting in July 1 and finishing (in Yosemite) before Oct 1.

If you're confident that you can hike faster then start around July 10 and you might even be able to leave your ice ax at home. ;)

Enjoy!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

davepotter

Post by davepotter » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:13 pm

Thanks for the advice Frances. I have had a second idea; to hike northbound from Yosemite instead. Starting end June, how would that be. Dave

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Post by FrancisTapon » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:01 pm

That would work too. The exact same dates apply.

Read why in my article about going Southbound on the PCT. See Thru-Hiking Window.

Good luck! 8)
- Francis Tapon

jennifercatsos

Post by jennifercatsos » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:40 pm

I am hiking SOBO this year, and am planning on starting on June 15th, in order to end before hitting snow, or no water in California. Is this an alright start date? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Post by FrancisTapon » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:29 am

Yes, June 15 is a good date. Use postholer.com to gauge snow levels and a start a few days earlier or later accordingly.

Please read the tread above and the link to my article about going southbound.

Good luck!
- Francis Tapon

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:02 pm

I've been planning a SOBO hike for nearly 6 months now, and now that my start date is drawing near, my anticipation is mounting with the still falling snow. As somebody who has thru-hiked southbound, I'm looking to you for a first hand opinion on the potential danger and success of a thru-hike this season. I am fairly confident in snow and route-finding, but my concern is the extreme magnitude of snow that has fallen this year. Will the trail even be passable in some areas? Do you think snowshoes are necessary? I appreciate any and all thoughts you have on this matter. I hope this message finds you well!

-Mike O'Sullivan
When I thru-hiked the PCT Sobo in 2006, it was a year that had 200% normal snowfall. I recommend postholer.com to see current snow levels (you need to register, unfortunately, to see them). I recommend watching this video about the first 70 miles of the PCT to get an idea of how it looks on a high snow year in late June in Washington.

Unless you leave before June 15, you don't need snowshoes, but expect to posthole. Everything is always passable - it just takes more work. ;) Example: I hiked through Colorado in May. :o
- Francis Tapon