Southbound PCT

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

paulnc

Southbound PCT

Post by paulnc » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:52 pm

Francis,
First of all, let me say thank you for all the information you provide on this board and the thoughtful and in-depth answers you post.

I am starting to plan a 2009 SoBo PCT hike and am interested in what materials you used. I have all the guide books and town planners, and I know you have mentioned Craig's PCT Planner website before. My concern is that all the printed information I can find is written for the NoBo Hiker. Is there any printed material that you are aware of that describes roads, trailheads, directions, etc from a North to South approach? How did you deal with this problem when you thru-hiked the PCT?

Thank you again for your willingness to help. I'm sure I will pick your brain some more in the coming months.

-Paul

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Is there a guidebook for southbound PCT hikers?

Post by FrancisTapon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:17 pm

Paul: Sorry, all the PCT guidebooks are northbound (Nobo) centric. That's because 95% of PCT thru-hikers hike north.

I'm not sure what percentage of PCT section hikers hike south, but I'd guess 70% just because the guidebooks are written with the Nobo in mind.

The exception is the John Muir Trail (JMT). I'm guessing that 90% hike the JMT southbound, so that they end their hike on Mt. Whitney. I've never looked at a JMT guidebook, but I'd bet it's Sobo-centric.

My advice is to get used to reading directions backwards. It's awkward at first, but you quickly get used to knowing that right means left and hiking uphill up means hiking downhill, etc....

Also, get good at reading maps. Most times you can ignore the trail descriptions and just figure everything out on the map. The text is mainly useful for reading about water sources and camping spots. ;)

I've asked the authors of the PCT guidebooks to say "east/west" instead of "right/left." They do that often now, but not always. I highly recommend these guidebooks anyway. They're the only guidebook you need. Use Craig's PCT Planner too, even though it's a bit dated.

Feel free to ask more questions!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com