Umbrellas

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

Mel

Umbrellas

Post by Mel » Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:58 pm

Hi

Came across your blog whilst looking to see if other folk were mad enough to use umbrellas as sunshades.

Questions
1) You mention collapsible umbrellas are the less favoured option to full size ones - yet many of your photos of the reflective go lite seem to show it as being collapsible??

2)Does the reflective coating wear off?

3) Am visiting the States for the first time to hike this summer. I will be using an umbrella and sunscreen. Will I need sunglasses too? (do not like sunglasses much) (visiting Yosemite, Sequoia NP, Death Valley (briefly) Grand Canyon, then working up to Yellowstone, along with other places in between)

Is your book available in standard bookstores or do I need to buy online?

Mel

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Umbrellas

Post by FrancisTapon » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:24 am

1) You mention collapsible umbrellas are the less favoured option to full size ones - yet many of your photos of the reflective go lite seem to show it as being collapsible??
It is not. Sorry for the illusion.
I re-affirm that collapsible umbrellas are weaker than non-collapsible ones, in general.
Still, I admit that it's convenient. If you prefer collapsible, then consider the Euroschrim umbrellas.
2)Does the reflective coating wear off?
Yes, but slowly. It's usually takes over 1000 km of hiking to make patches appear.
3) Am visiting the States for the first time to hike this summer. I will be using an umbrella and sunscreen. Will I need sunglasses too? (do not like sunglasses much)
Yes, sunglasses that block UV light are worth bringing, especially if you'll be walking on snow (which is possible in parts of the USA during the summer). Snow blindness and cataracts are things worth avoiding. So baby your eyes.
Is your book available in standard bookstores or do I need to buy online?
You may be able to find my book at bookstores in the UK since I have a distributor there.
Amazon.co.uk also has it.
And my shop has it, but it's expensive to ship to the UK.
It's best to buy from my shop if you want to give me most of the money (Amazon takes 55%).

Thanks for your support! :)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com