After The Camino...

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

bradman1968
Trusted Member

After The Camino...

Post by bradman1968 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:18 pm

Hello Francis,

I'm a Canadian who used to enjoy wilderness hiking in Ontario, so I was most interested to read your thoughts on the Camino Frances. I'm excited about my upcoming Camino, starting early September, and was really on the fence between the French Way and the Camino del Norte.

Thankfully, I took a few minutes to digest your positive and negatives where the more crowded French Camino is concerned, and I'm now committed to walking the northern path, starting in Irun.

My two questions are related to travel AFTER reaching the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela.

1. Was the extra 88 km to Finisterre worth the time and effort? Did you have a greater sense of accomplishment?
2. After the Camino, I will have 7 - 10 days before I fly home to Toronto. If you had to choose between these two itineraries, which would you prefer if you had never visited the Iberian Peninsula?

Before you answer, I should tell you I have decent Spanish skills, and almost no Portuguese, but I do love Port wine. :)

First Option:

Bus or train to Porto and Lisbon. Grab a charter flight home from Lisbon.

Second Option:

Bus or train to Madrid, then Barcelona, if time permits. Fly home from Barcelona.

I appreciate your authentic, politically-incorrect writing style, and very much look forward to reading your reply. Others should also feel free to offer their insights.

Wishing you safe travel,
Bradley Dorrance
Woodstock, Ontario
CANADA

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: After The Camino...

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:11 am

Hi Brad,

I think you're doing the right thing by doing the northern route of El Camino.
Although you probably won't get that much more wilderness than El Camino Frances, it will be less trafficked.

I'd pick option two, especially since your Spanish is better than your Portuguese and Barcelona is the best city in that corner of Europe. 8)

Buena suerte!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

bradman1968
Trusted Member

Re: After The Camino...

Post by bradman1968 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks, Francis.

Air Canada has great round-trip airfares, even with the 'open jaw,' Toronto to Paris then home from Barcelona to Toronto. I spotted prices at about 6-700 US dollars, with taxes and fees included.

Time to buy those tickets.

-Brad