Ultra Light / Ultra Long Distance Cooking and Eating...

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

SBParks

Ultra Light / Ultra Long Distance Cooking and Eating...

Post by SBParks » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:46 pm

I am facinated by the concept of Ultralight Weight / Ultralong Distance hiking and backpacking and the logistics involved with cooking food and caring for your body's caloric needs while on the trail for so many miles for so many days.

What would a 'normal' day's meal(s) be like for you? How often did you prepare your meal by means of cooking or heating your food and what type of stove did you use? Were there days when you didn't even use a source of heat (stove) for your meal?

My personal mealtime experiences while backpacking have often been times that brought the hiking group together for a social and even bonding event. The warm food, the good tastes and the 'reward' of a good or even great meal on the trail always seemed worth the effort and work it took to make that meal happen while out on the trail. Of course, most meals like this probably wouldn't fit the parameters for an Ultralight / Ultralong distance hike.

I would almost think that mealtime on an Ultralight / Ultralong distance hike would reduce the mealtime experience to 'another bodily function' that needs to be taken care of. Probably there is much more to the long distance experience that I don't understand.

Your views on these 'mealtime' topics would be appreciated.

Thanks, Scott.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

What's a normal meal while backpacking?

Post by FrancisTapon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:39 pm

Thanks for your question. I have answered most of it in this post about food.

I'll just add that on the AT and PCT I did cook and focused on nutritious calories. Instead of refined pasta (which is what is what is on 90% of the supermarket shelves), look for whole wheat pasta, corn or spinach pasta. Look for something that isn't plain old refined pasta.

Look for variety! Variety and nutrition are key to a good diet on a long distance hike!

If you decide to cook, look for lightweight stoves that are efficient. Jetboil is very efficient, but also very heavy. Alcohol stoves are very light, but also very inefficient (especially without a good windscreen). Consider weight and efficiency when choosing a stove.

Finally, consider stoveless cooking!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

Rachel Kysar

Re: Ultra Light / Ultra Long Distance Cooking and Eating...

Post by Rachel Kysar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 pm

I prefer stainless steel. This material is more durable and resistant to damage. Sometimes on the bottom of a pot there is an aluminum layer that perfectly conducts heat and makes such dishes more convenient when cooking. But this option is not suitable for use at stake.