Passports on the northernmost PCT

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Passports on the northernmost PCT

Post by FrancisTapon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:17 am

Francis, if i may. i want to do about 30-40 miles 1-3 day hike depending on what you think. I was looking at the Pacific Coast Trail. Since i will be flying into Vancouver i guess i can start at Manning Park and want to go into Rainy Pass- Washington. I am planning to meet my friend here and travel down the coast to into San Diego California.

One , if you are interested, i would like to hire you for the strip as a guide. I'm fairly fit and can do at 30 miles a day. Is there a shorter starting point that Manning Park to Rainy Pass...

I always wanted to do this... What do you suggest.

Also, i hate the border crossing political BS... and i liked your commit. I just want to hike with freedom. Do you get stopped and or harassed on the trail. I can bring my passport ect. What is the situation. .. do we just hike or do we have to sign in and fill out forms.. and then while we hike.. are we followed and asked for our papers. .. Fill me in.. i just want to hike and like i said.. i will carry my passport... Will that be good enough? I am a police officer in real life... so..

Would you be interested in being a hired guide... I'd like to do the hike preferably in 1 day or maybe two. What do we do in the middle of the night? I really need you support and advice. I usually mountain bike and do lots of walking in my spare time. I should have the fitness but not the experience.... if you cant be a guide .. can i pay you just to choose the right hike into Washington. , what to bring on the hike,,, food, clothing to wear.
It sounds like you want to repeat how I started the PCT - the first 70 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail was tough.

It would take a minimum of 48 hours. If we go when there is no snow, 48 hrs will be enough.

Unless they've changed their policies in the last 5 years, there is effectively no checkpoint. Although I brought my passport and passed two Canadian rangers just 3 miles from the border, they just said hi to me. They didn't ask for a permit or passport. Still, it's smart to bring a passport just in case. The USA side is probably more anal, although it's even more remote and less trafficked than the Canadian side, so it's highly unlikely that anyone will check us.

I do guide, I'll email you details.
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com