New Tarp user! Tips?

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

Rob Lewis
Trusted Member

New Tarp user! Tips?

Post by Rob Lewis » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Francis, I am the new owner of a Gossamer Gear Spinn Twinn Tarp, and I have a few questions about keeping rain out bad weather. I have not used the tarp overnight yet as Im still working on the pitching technique. When you are expecting rain or bad weather in general do you pitch the tarp lower to the ground? Im mostly interested in keeping the rain out of the open ends when the wind is blowing. The Spinn Twinn is a pretty large tarp, and I would like to become primarily a tarp user, I just like to have as much knowledge in my head before heading out with it.

Also, what kind of bug protection do you use under your tarp? All I have is some Deet and a head net at this point. I am using a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 sleeping bag unzipped like a quilt most of the time, with a foam torso pad and a polycryo ground cloth.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rob

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: New Tarp user! Tips?

Post by FrancisTapon » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:35 am

Rob Lewis wrote:Francis, I am the new owner of a Gossamer Gear Spinn Twinn Tarp, and I have a few questions about keeping rain out bad weather. I have not used the tarp overnight yet as Im still working on the pitching technique. When you are expecting rain or bad weather in general do you pitch the tarp lower to the ground? Im mostly interested in keeping the rain out of the open ends when the wind is blowing. The Spinn Twinn is a pretty large tarp, and I would like to become primarily a tarp user, I just like to have as much knowledge in my head before heading out with it.
You're right, Rob: you want to pitch it low (about 1 meter/yard above the ground) when it's a violent rainstorm. You'll have to crawl to get in. Make sure that when you're laying down, no part of your sleeping bag is touching the tarp, otherwise condensation will occur and your sleeping bag will get wet.

If it's drizzling, but not windy (or if you don't expect any rain and perhaps just dew) then you can have the tarp 1.5 meters/yards off the ground. No need to squeeze in - you'll like the extra space.

Also, make sure your ground sheet isn't sticking out over the edges. If rain hits the groundsheet, it will collect under you and you'll wake up wet. :(

Best recommendation: before you go on a trip, look at the weather forecast and pick a day where it will rain like crazy. Then go set up camp in your backyard (or nearby park). See if you can survive the night or a few hours under it without getting wet. If you get soaked, then at least you can hurry home and dry off and try again another rainy day. For extra credit - set up while it's raining!
Rob Lewis wrote: Also, what kind of bug protection do you use under your tarp? All I have is some Deet and a head net at this point. I am using a Mountain Hardwear Phantom 32 sleeping bag unzipped like a quilt most of the time, with a foam torso pad and a polycryo ground cloth.
I often walk until 8-10 pm, so usually the temps in the West cool down at that time of night. So just a headnet with a baseball cap is enough for me. Good enough for light bugs.

In the east coast (on the Appalachian Trail, for example) or low elevations in the West, it can still be hot at night, so you have two options:
  • - Bring a piece of no-see um netting (about 1 meter square) and drape it over you to add an extra layer of protection on top of the headnet. Or even better, the Bug Canopy from GG. This is ultralight and hardcore - best for situations with moderate bugs.

- For serious bugs (Maine/Alaska/Canada), then consider something like MLD's Bug Bivy.
Let us know what you learn! Share your tips! :)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

Rob Lewis
Trusted Member

Post by Rob Lewis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:23 pm

So I had my first ever overnighter in a stealth camp with my new Spinn Twinn, and JRB Sierra Sniveler Quilt. Two things that didnt go so well. 1. I still am having a hard time getting to sleep in the back country. I was using a Wal-Mart style foam pad cut to torso length. Shoulders and ribs were comfy, but my hips get numb. Any tips on helping that? I was laying on some fairly soft forest duff.

2. Crawling bugs. It was cool enough and a good breeze to keep the flying ones away. I slept with my visor and hednet on, but what really got to me was the daddy long legs, ants and other creeping bugs. I ended up putting on my dri ducks coat and gloves to keep them off my skin. Not so much a big deal, but the sleep thing is killing me.

I am a high strung person, and dont believe that the foam sleeping pad is the issue. I have used many inflatable pads, and foam and i cant get to sleep on either, so i strongly believe that it is phsycological, but I cant put my finger on it! Even if I have walked all day and im feeling tired, i just lay there...

Any tips Francis!

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Post by FrancisTapon » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Rob, as you recall, I gave you a few tips on sleeping better in another thread.

It's unclear if you exhausted yourself that day. Do 20-35 miles and you'll sleep on needles. ;)

For many people camping is like sleeping in a hotel or another person's house: it takes them a few nights to get used to it. The mind/body needs time to adjust to the new sleeping environment. If you have trouble sleeping anywhere but your own bed, then that's the real problem - you just need a few days (weeks?) to adjust.

For bugs, you might want to get a full enclosed bivy. I've never noticed them because I sleep so soundly that I have no clue how many things are walking all over me! :lol:
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

john peter

Post by john peter » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:48 am

If you get a bug bivy like the MLD Serenity Shelter or Alpinlite Bug Tent the silnylon ends would help with windblown rain.