Which is the best backpack?

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Which is the best backpack?

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:10 am

Francis, I'm getting a backpack, does this one from North Face make sense? I wish I could make more sense by telling you I need my backpack to be this and that, but nope, pretty much clueless. So overall, good or bad? Thanks!
There's the old saying, "If you don't know where you're going, any road will get you there."

Similarly, "If you don't know why you need a backpack, then any backpack will be fine."

In general, I advise getting lightweight backpacks (1 kg). I love what Gossamer Gear makes.

However, without knowing your specific needs, I can't advise you. It's like if someone asked you "Should I buy the Toyota Camry?"

If you don't know much, then I suggest saving money and getting a cheap, used one on eBay or Craigslist.org. After gaining experience, you'll understand your preferences and be able to buy the best backpack for you.
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

kennybeal

Re: Which is the best backpack?

Post by kennybeal » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:56 pm

I/We (My great loving Wife and I) are looking to change MY dated packing philosophy. We currently have two packs. An external frame Kelty Tioga 2 from the late 1970's and a new internal frame Arc'teryx Bora 80 I bought a few years back (I thought would be an upgrade). They are both huge. The Tioga is lighter, huge and comfortable. The Tioga 2 is still my fav - by far. If you want to carry your home on your back I would recommend these packs, otherwise, I would say pass. Again I do not fell the Arc was an upgrade. I think the Arc weighs more than Francis's ultra-lighter packed - perhaps 6 pounds. Both are extremely comfortable and all said do work.

Things are changing. My wife and I have backpacked mostly in the Sierras and the California central coastal range, however we are now venturing out into the world with packs (formally with a couple of suitcases). We went to Costa Rica/Panama in April, and our next trip is late March 2013 northern India/Nepal. I think the packs we now own would not be a good choice. We are considering the Gossamer. They seem roomy enough, comfortable, and light, and yep, affordable. Their packs also seem to not draw so much attention as the others we currently own certainly would. Not sure what model. The have many to choose from. Sensible.

Questions to Francis:
What Gossamer(s) do you own?
Are you using them on your Africa trip?
What model would you use if you were traveling to India/Nepal?

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Which is the best backpack?

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:25 am

Kenny, I'll answer your comments below:

What Gossamer(s) do you own?
I own several. I really like Gossamer Gear's latest Mariposa model.

Are you using them on your Africa trip?
Yes, the Mariposa and I'll also be using their Minimalist Ultralight Day pack and Rok sack. I'll be using their stakes and many of their misc. gear! This month I'll put a gear list on my Africa page.

What model would you use if you were traveling to India/Nepal?
It's hard to say without knowing what you plan to be doing there. However, given what you wrote, I think you'll be happiest with the Mariposa. It's strong and high capacity, but far lighter than what you're used to. If you're not sure, call or email GG and they will help you find the right pack for your needs. It's hard to go wrong with their packs.

Good luck!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com