Sleeping woes

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

Rob Lewis
Trusted Member

Sleeping woes

Post by Rob Lewis » Sun May 01, 2011 3:01 pm

Francis, I currently have been backpacking for 3 years now, and I have yet to get a good nights rest in the backcountry. My current sleep system consists of a GG Thinglight 3/8' torso pad, sleeping quilt, and a GG sit pad I use rolled up for the small of my back or between my knees when I side sleep. I have a pile of inflatable pads and they seem to make no difference in my comfort level. Do you have any advice on getting comfortable and getting some sound sleep? I have made the conversion to UL backpacking, but every trip I take, going to bed becomes a stressor because I know I will not sleep well! Please help!

BTW What do you use a pillow?

Thanks for any advice!!

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Sleeping woes

Post by FrancisTapon » Mon May 02, 2011 9:05 pm

Rob,

Sorry to hear about your sleep woes. Read this thread about the ideal sleeping pad.

It's not clear why you're having trouble sleeping ever since you went ultralight, since you said that you've taken a "pile of inflatable pads and they seem to make no difference in my comfort level."

Seems like that it's psychological, especially since it sounds like you were sleeping well before.

Try to hike an extra 5 miles (8 km) to be a bit more tired when you get to camp.

For a pillow, I use a water bottle like the Platypus. If I have an extra article of clothing, I'll put that on top to have a soft surface to lay my head on.

Sleep tight! :angel:
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

Rob Lewis
Trusted Member

Post by Rob Lewis » Thu May 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Thanks for the tips Francis. I may have mis-spoken, but wither way I have never slept good on any camping or backpacking trip. I know now, that sit selection was on of the biggest culprits. My friend and I have always camped at typical pre-selected sites where the ground is worn down to nothing but compacted dirt. I have yet to experience a "stealth site"! I have just purchased my first floor less tarp shelter and I think that finding softer ground will make a big difference.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Post by FrancisTapon » Fri May 06, 2011 4:11 am

Rob: Yeah, established, popular sites are like camping on concrete.

Don't forget to wear yourself out during the day - you'll sleep soundly (whether on a plane, bus, or campsite).

Also, part of it is getting used to sleeping outside. When I've gone on multi-month trips, sometimes the first couple of days aren't super easy to fall asleep in, because my body hasn't adjusted to sleeping in the wilderness. Eventually, it gets into that rhythm. Of course, that doesn't help you if you're out for the weekend..... Hence, point #1. ;)

Sleep tight!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com