solo SoBo on PCT

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

shmurciakova

solo SoBo on PCT

Post by shmurciakova » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:41 am

Hi Francis,
I have really enjoyed reading your journals about your Southbound trip. I was just wondering....in your opinion, what do you think about doing the SoBo trip solo? I have quite a lot of backpacking experience on and off trail, in snow on sketchy sidehills and whatnot. I have been a backcountry ranger in AK for the last 11 years, etc. but is this ill-advised? I have confidence in my ability but I'm just wondering what you think? The pros seem to outweigh the cons from what I've read so far. I don't think the snow in the Cascades would be a problem for me and I'd rather go through snow than big, scary river crossings any day!~Please advise,
SH

I love the emoticons on this forum! :worried:

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: solo SoBo on PCT

Post by FrancisTapon » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:51 pm

SH,

You sound totally prepared for the Solo Southbound PCT journey! 8)

Watch the video of the first 70 miles of the PCT Solo and without a tent or sleeping bag!

If you will always do 25 miles a day and take few days off, then you can start July 1. But since you're not afraid of snow, then start June 15-30, depending on the snow conditions. Use postholer.com to gauge.

I never met a southbounder during the entire trip. The ones who left before me, quit. Those who left after me couldn't catch up. Nevertheless, if may run into someone in the first 100 miles. If so, stick together during the snow portion. The river crossings are very doable, but it's always good to have company in the early season.

Let me know how it goes!
:clap:
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

shmurciakova

Re: solo SoBo on PCT

Post by shmurciakova » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Thank you, I didn't expect a response so quickly, which is why I didn't even check until today! I found another site also which is an online journal of some people who are doing a "transcontinental triathalon", first they kayaked from Juneau to Seattle, then they hiked the PCT (last summer) and now they are proceeding through South America on bikes! In any case, they took loads of pictures and journaled every day....between your journals and theirs I think it is definitely doable. Of course I have read of the numerous people who gave up as you mentioned. In any case, it might be nice to have someone in front, so you would not have to navigate as much....but in any case, we shall see. I think I could do it and I REALLY want to!
I will post more questions as they arise.
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I am excited to check out the video.
Cheers,
SH :hai:
-