Sleeping Pads

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

Rick D
Trusted Member

Sleeping Pads

Post by Rick D » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:23 am

Hey Francis, I would like to get your advice on sleeping pads. I'm tall and thin and need something soft because I often sleep on my side. I've had a love-hate relationship with inflatables. A Thermarest short pad from REI never held air. I returned it and later bought a BPL Torsolite pad that was great until it developed a microleak. I swore I would never use inflatables again, but then recently bought a much-hyped Inertia X pad through MLD. It seems sturdier, but I'm not sure I like how bumpy it is. Maybe I'll get used to it. Last night I did a test sleepout with a 1/4'' GG pad on top of the Inertia X, and I'm still not sure it's comfortable enough for me.

On the PCT I used a Gossamer Gear 1/4'' pad folded over on itself plus a nightlite pad, plus a single 1/8'' pad layer. I would put my pack under my legs. That was barely sufficient for me.

Now I'm thinking, maybe I should just go back to a single nightlite pad and just take more care to put soft stuff (leaves, pine needles, etc.) under me before I go to bed at night. Is this what you did on the CDT yo-yo? How on earth did you get by with just a single nightlite pad? Please share your sleep expertise :)

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Sleeping Pads

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:20 am

Rick,

1. The #1 most important thing you can do to guarantee a good night's sleep is to walk 12 hours a day. :)
I was doing 12-15 hours per day on the CDT and I was so exhausted at the end of the day that I didn't need a pad!
Even on the Appalachian Trail and Pacific Crest Trail, I walked at least 10 hours a day, so I was pretty tired there too. :)

2. As you say, finding a soft camp site is huge. Sometimes I would stop a bit earlier than I wanted if I saw the perfect stop. I'd rather get up earlier and have a nice good night sleep. So, yes, dried leaves and pine needles are a dream.

3. I've had no luck with inflatables, so I don't use them anymore. I've used the Ridgerest, but the Gossamer Gear products are the best insulation per gram ratio. Why not try two of them stacked on each other to give you that extra cushion?

Let me know what you learn!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

Rick D
Trusted Member

Post by Rick D » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:34 am

So do you actually routinely gather or scrape leaves and needles together for your campsite to act as insulation? Or do you just look for spots that already appear softer? Do you sleep on your side?

Also, a question on quilts. How do you pack them? Compress them down and put them at the bottom of the pack? Store them loosely? I am looking for a better way to pack them because they lose their loft if you compress them and put them at the bottom. I'm thinking of storing my quilt outside the pack in a large stuff sack and am looking for people who might have ideas.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:43 am

Rick D wrote:So do you actually routinely gather or scrape leaves and needles together for your campsite to act as insulation? Or do you just look for spots that already appear softer? Do you sleep on your side?
I almost never gather stuff to make the ground more comfy, although I do scrape off twigs and stones. Because I'm so tired, I don't need to do that, but in your case, you should try it, especially if you're not exhausted. Use that extra energy to gather stuff up!
Rick D wrote: Also, a question on quilts. How do you pack them? Compress them down and put them at the bottom of the pack? Store them loosely? I am looking for a better way to pack them because they lose their loft if you compress them and put them at the bottom. I'm thinking of storing my quilt outside the pack in a large stuff sack and am looking for people who might have ideas.
If you have a down-sleeping bag, then you're fine whatever you do. Just don't use a special compression sack, just use the stuff sack that comes with the bag. If you're stay in a real bed one night, then take the sleeping bag out of the stuff sack.

If you have a synthetic bag, then you should try to minimize the compression, because it doesn't deal with it as well as down. So leave it as uncompressed as you can. However, carrying it outside the pack is more pain that it's worth, in my opinion. If you're worried about losing loft fast, then stick with down.
- Francis Tapon

Georgeon

Sleeping Pads

Post by Georgeon » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Im thinking of buying either the xlite, xtherm or the trekker version. Most of the reviews are good but they do say these sleeping pads can make a lot of creaking noise. Does anyone have experience with these? Another thing is I see the regulars have 20 inch width and Im not sure thats wide enough. Any opinions on this.

Paul

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Post by FrancisTapon » Sun May 22, 2016 3:59 am

I'm unfamiliar with the xlite, xtherm or the trekker version pads.

Just buy from a retailer who is able to accept returns. That way you can test it out and if you don't like it, then you can return it.

Two more pieces of advice:

1) Hike as much as possible and you'll be so exhausted that you won't notice any creaking noises because you'll quickly fall asleep.

2) Wear earplugs.

Enjoy!
- Francis Tapon