PCT- Entering U.S. Via Canada

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

Jeriatrics
Trusted Member

PCT- Entering U.S. Via Canada

Post by Jeriatrics » Sat May 03, 2008 9:39 pm

Hey Francis,
I read in your journal that you just walked into the U.S. on the PCT and there were no border guards. However, my friend who I am hiking Sobo with called immigration services about doing this and they said it wasn't allowed and you if caught you would be arrested!

Supposedly there is a form for entering Canada via the U.S. but not the other way around. The guy said you have to enter through some designated portal. Obviously they wouldn't have guards patrolling all the time, but I am just wondering if you think it is safe to go ahead and hike into the States on the trail.

Thanks,
Jeremiah

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Sneaking through the USA Border from Canada

Post by FrancisTapon » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:03 pm

Jeremiah: Sorry for the slow reply!

I brought my USA passport when I walked from Manning Park south to cross the border and start the PCT. It's 8 miles from Manning Park to the border.

BTW, getting to Manning Park is easy on Greyhound. Get to Vancouver and the Greyhound will take you right to the park entrance. It's easy to find the trailhead. From there, you walk 8 miles south and you'll get to the PCT monument, which is at the Canadian border.

Immigration people will scare you, but it's I wouldn't worry about it. Yes, officially they could arrest you, just like they arrest many Mexicans everyday who cross the border. However, they rarely (if ever) patrol the USA/Canada border on PCT. It's in the middle of nowhere!

When I walked south from Manning Park, I ran into a pair of rangers. I expected them to ask me for my permit and passport. Instead, they gave me a cheery hello and walked past me!

If anyone has heard of a story of a bad experience, tell me.

In short, if you're really worried, do whatever the USA Immigration Office tells you to do. Otherwise, just take your USA passport (or visa) and walk right in.
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com