Preparing for a long walk

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Preparing for a long walk

Post by FrancisTapon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:25 pm

On reading the latest edition of TGO I was inspired by your walk on the Appalachian Trail - 2100 miles in 111 days and I am contacting you to seek your advice for a walk I have planned in October 2008. I plan to walk 517 miles in the UK in under 2 weeks and your story is very similar to my own preparations where I am regularly walking between 20-40 miles per day.

Thus, I would appreciate it if you could give me some guidance and let me know how you carry out your own preparations for such long walks.

I am also very interested in the lessons your learnt whilst undertaking this adventure, so as to kind of prepare me for my own lessons I will no doubt learn during my own trek.

I very much look forward to hearing from you soon and look forward to keeping in contact during my preparations over the next 6 months.

Best regards,

Gordon Stronach.
Gordon: I hope you can clarify a bit more what you mean by "preparations." There are three that I would think about:

1) Physical: Weight lift 30 minutes a day. Run at least 30 mins a day. Hike at least 20 miles on a weekend with a heavy backpack (heavier than you would normally carry).

2) Logistical: Research and learn from trail lore. Determine your resupply points. In most places in the UK, you're probably close to civilization every 4-5 days, but you still should have a vague plan.

3) Mental: Visualize success. However, also visualize the tough times. This is a three step process:
  • a) Visualize challenging moments (e.g., cold, bugs, heat, discomfort).
    b) Visualize overcoming them.
    c) And doing it with a smile. :D
I hope that helps!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com