Watch for long-distance hiking

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

Rick D
Trusted Member

Watch for long-distance hiking

Post by Rick D » Mon Apr 07, 2008 10:33 am

I noticed you used the Suunto Advisor watch on your CDT hike (see http://cdtyoyo.com/cdt/gear.htm). It has an altimeter, compass, thermometer, barometer, and heartrate monitor. I was wondering if you could comment on this watch and whether you used and were satisfied with all the functions, and whether there were any shortcomings you noted. How useful was the heartrate monitor for you? Would a solar-powered watch have been more convenient? Thanks!

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Suunto Watches for Backpacking

Post by FrancisTapon » Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:05 pm

Rick,

I love the Suunto watches for backpacking. Although I appreciate their many features, the key ones I look for are: compass and altimeter. Every other feature is optional.

I didn't use the heart-rate monitor because in that model you're required to wear a strap around your chest. That strap weighs a few ounces, which I prefer not carrying. I might carry it on a training hike. Professional athletes use heart training as an effective way to get a competitive edge.

You don't need a solar powered watch. The Suunto batteries last one year and if you're worried, just order an extra battery and have your re-supply person send it when you need it.

The Suunto watch gives you several weeks of warning when the battery starts getting weak. Therefore, unless you're not paying attention to the low-battery signal, there's no risk of the battery dying somewhere inconvenient.

Although I've always used Suunto, there are other watch manufacturers that have comparable features.

I've used the Suunto with GPS (X9i) and I do not recommend it. :( It sucks the battery quickly so it is useless for multiday journeys, unless you bring a solar panel to recharge it.

Finally, to buy cheap Suunto, get a used one on eBay. :idea:
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com