What is the best sleeping bag for Colorado?

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

What is the best sleeping bag for Colorado?

Post by FrancisTapon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:54 am

[quote]Hello Francis,

I learned of you while debating whether to get a “No Snivellerâ€
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

Rick D
Trusted Member

Post by Rick D » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:21 pm

Thanks for your prompt reply! It's very important to get feedback from people who have thru-hiked in the same area, and not just done a couple overnighters. I think I will go with the Rocky Mt. Quilt as you did. The parka function on these bags is a big weight saver, and Ron at MLD can make a custom slit on his synthetic bags, too. I will not have an insulating layer beyond thermal underwear. Above that -- a wind layer and that's pretty much it.

That's good news for the cuben poncho -- the most expensive but vastly lighter option. The dimensions mine will have (again, from MLD) will be like your Grace solo, but not as wide in front.

Heavy rain scares me a bit, but I am pretty sure I can get by, because I also carry with me a multi-purpose space blanket with sheet bend knots on the corners as a groundcloth and light insulation for rest stops. This light sheet also doubles as a second tarp and can be put up in the rain as I'm still wearing my poncho. Then I can switch 'em or something like that...

I am also considering taking my Chrome Dome umbrella as you did, but I fear it will just be too darn windy above treeline in Colorado to make it work. Would you take it if you were me?

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Would you take an umbrella in Colorado?

Post by FrancisTapon » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:11 pm

Rick D wrote:I am also considering taking my Chrome Dome umbrella as you did, but I fear it will just be too darn windy above treeline in Colorado to make it work. Would you take it if you were me?
It depends how much you like the sun. I used my Chrome Dome almost everyday in Colorado in September because I prefer the shade from the sun. With constant shade, I carry less water and less sunscreen.

However, you're carrying a poncho tarp, so an umbrella is a bit redundant.

Therefore, I would recommend leaving the umbrella behind and bring a widebrimmed hat, unless you want an extra layer of rain protection. :idea:

I look forward to hearing how it goes! Post when finish!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com