Which is the best trail of the Triple Crown?

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Which is the best trail of the Triple Crown?

Post by FrancisTapon » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:55 pm

Greetings,

I am looking to do a meaningful and challenging Thru Hike in 2012. I've considered the AT, PCT, and CDT. To be honest the CDT is the one that captures my heart the most because it seems the most challenging and beautiful.

I have a few questions that I would really appreciate your insight on:

1. Who would you recommend pitching for sponsorship
2. How can I find a partner to thru hike with?
3. Having done all three trails, which would you recommend as one that would be the most life changing experience.

Thank you very much for your help. I really enjoyed your book !!

Robert
Robert: I'm glad you enjoyed HYOH!

I addressed your first two questions in this thread.

For getting sponsors, I suggest going for small companies and food companies.

To answer your last question, I would say the Pacific Crest Trail is the best overall trail in the Triple Crown. That's not just my opinion: it also seems to be the consensus among Triple Crowners. Of course, some will prefer the social and historic Appalachian Trail, while others will like the wildness and unstructured Continental Divide Trail. The PCT, however, blends the best of both worlds.

Most people would rank them: PCT, CDT, and AT. Personally, I love the CDT the most, but that's because I love how you can truly hike your own hike. So if you value that, then perhaps the CDT would be #1. Beauty-wise, it's a between the PCT and CDT, with a slight edge for the PCT.

Predicting which will change your life the most is impossible without a parallel universe! Given all the people you meet on the AT, perhaps that will change you the most. But perhaps that one event on the CDT/PCT will change you more. No matter which you pick, you'll have a life changing experience!

Lastly, the PCT and CDT are like brothers and sisters of Mama AT. In other words, the CDT and PCT have much more in common than the AT has with them.

Happy trails! :)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

RMontgomery375

Re: Which is the best trail of the Triple Crown?

Post by RMontgomery375 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.