PCT-Shoes For Snowy Washington

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

Jeriatrics
Trusted Member

PCT-Shoes For Snowy Washington

Post by Jeriatrics » Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:52 pm

Hey Francis, planning on doing sobo pct thru-hike this summer and i am wondering what shoes you used for the snow in washington. I am trying to decide if a waterproof trail running shoe is the best option or if it would be better to get something that dries faster and breathes more. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: PCT-Shoes For Snowy Washington

Post by FrancisTapon » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:53 am

Congrats on preparing for your Sobo journey! Great questions!

First, make sure you read my article that was pubished in the PCT Communicator. It will get you ready for what's to come! 8)

Second, you probably already know that the best time to start is around June 15. However, be prepared to adjust 2 weeks in either direction, depending on the snowpack. In 2005, the snow was so low in Washington that the ski resorts didn't open all year. In 2006, on the other hand, there was so much snow that only 4 Sobos made it that year (Maiu and I were two of them).

Third, you don't need snowshoes. On the CDT, I went through Colorado in May without snowshoes. Although I would have liked to have had them at times, it wasn't a big deal overall. Snowshoes are most useful during the winter, when the snow is soft and powdery. In May and June, the snow is inconsistent. At times you'll posthole (and you may wish you had snowshoes); at other times you'll be walking on consolidated, hard snow and you'll be glad you're not lugging snowshoes around. It's rare to hear thru-hiker wishing s/he had snowshoes.

Fourth, I don't recommend a waterproof running shoe. As you imply, while a waterproof shoe takes longer to get wet, once it does get wet it takes longer to dry.

I love Inov8 shoes (their non-waterproof ones), because they drive fast. Whatever brand you choose, I would eschew waterproof ones for a thru-hike.

Good luck and tell me how it goes!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

Jeriatrics
Trusted Member

Post by Jeriatrics » Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:44 pm

Thanks for the reply Francis and I did read your article about going Sobo! I am currently studying abroad in Australia and get back on the 24th of June, so right now the plan is to start July 1st. I believe that the snowpack is really deep right now and hopefully our timing works out well.

You said that snowshoes are not necessary in Washington, so would Inov-8 trail running shoes or new balances work? I guess you just want a shoe that dries out fast and gives you good support and traction in the snow.

Also is an ice axe essential for washington or could you get by with trekking poles?

Take Care,
Jeremiah

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Snowshoes and Ice Axes on Sobo Hike

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:41 pm

Jeriatrics wrote:Thanks for the reply Francis and I did read your article about going Sobo! I am currently studying abroad in Australia and get back on the 24th of June, so right now the plan is to start July 1st. I believe that the snowpack is really deep right now and hopefully our timing works out well.

You said that snowshoes are not necessary in Washington, so would Inov-8 trail running shoes or new balances work? I guess you just want a shoe that dries out fast and gives you good support and traction in the snow.
Jeremiah: As you know from reading my article about going Sobo, July 1st is somewhat of a late start. It's certainly not too late, so don't get worried, but you must stay focused between Canada and Kennedy Meadows.

Anyone who starts in July need not worry much about the snow levels. Although you'll certainly hit some snow, it won't be too bad.

New Balance shoes are excellent. I've used them. And they'll be fine on the snow.

I prefer Inov-8 shoes. :) I answered a shoe question in an earlier post. If that doesn't answer your question, please post a follow on question to that tread.

I highly recommend looking at the MudClaw 340 O+ from Inov-8. It's a great shoe for a Sobo starting in July. In the morning, when the snow is a bit icy, the dobs will grip the snow like a mini-crampon. 8) That's all you need. After 9 a.m. the snow will get soft.
Jeriatrics wrote:Also is an ice axe essential for washington or could you get by with trekking poles?
After July 1, trekking poles are good enough.

If you don't take trekking poles, you could, if you have good balance, survive without an ice axe (perhaps using a long stick in times of need).

If you start before July 1, then I recommend an ice axe, although someone with good balance and experience could still get by on trekking poles.

Good luck and tell me how you do! :D
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com