Tips On Lowering the Pack Weight

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Tips On Lowering the Pack Weight

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:36 am

I stumbled upon your CDT Gear List while researching light and ultralight backpacking; and I have a couple of questions on your methods, if you have the time.

You've set an inspiring example — kind of blowing my mind, since I’m still working on the move from heavy to lightweight (having begun my backpacking career with what can only be described as ‘ultraheavy’ loads). I’m down to 35-37lbs. total pack weight, which is already a relief. I expect to hack off several more pounds in the next couple of seasons as I make gradual substitutions in gear.

I've set aside my two-person tent; and after a very hopeful but ultimately frustrating (read ‘cold’) dalliance with hammock camping, I’m trying out a tarp and various bug net options. Sleeping in clothes and using a hot-water bottle have allowed me to use a lighter sleeping bag. Mostly, I’m taking the time to think through whether I really need certain items at all.

My questions are about 1) food/cooking and 2) keeping things dry. In your gear list, I see Esbit; but no stove and no pot. What’s your setup for eating? I was surprised to find out how comfortable I am with fewer cooked meals; but I still want a hot meal at the end of the day and the ability to make some hot tea when I start to shiver. Do you cook at all; and if so, how?

Next, with all the light down gear and little backup insulation, how do you deal with wetness — from rain, primarily? This is probably my area of greatest confusion in selecting gear. Do I go with rainsuit, or softshell and DWR windbreaker; do I need the poncho or pack cover or internal liner or waterproof sacks?... and so on. I like hiking mountain trails, but mostly I’m in northern Ontario, where it can rain and storm for days in a row at times, hiking equally on ridges and in boreal forest. I use trekking poles, so umbrella won’t work for me; but anyway, I’m curious to learn what issues you face and what methods you use protecting your clothing and sleeping bag.

If you care to comment, or if you could direct me to a good source of information on these kinds of strategies, I would greatly appreciate it.

Good luck with your dream,

Sincerely,

Taeji
Taeji: Great questions and congrats on trimming the weight off your pack!

1. FOOD: I addressed this issue here:

http://francistapon.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=23

In short, I don't cook on the CDT. When I do cook, I take a titanium pot with Esbits. That's it. I just prop up the pot on my tent stakes or use an established fire ring to cook in (and prop up against the rocks).

I hope that answers your question!

2. STAYING DRY: You're right, I use an umbrella, as I discussed here:

http://francistapon.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=13

However, since you use trekking poles, you might want to consider a light shelter like the ones Gossamer Gear has:

www.gossamergear.com

If you want to go ultralight, then consider a Poncho/Tarp, like the one that GoLite makes.

http://www.golite.com/product/productde ... AC0207&s=1

That might be too extreme for you, but it might be a good thing to have when you're backpacking where it probably won't rain. For example, when I backpacked around Seattle (where it rains a lot), I looked at the forecast. If it was sunny, I'd take a small tarp. If a storm was going to hit, I'd take a big tarp (or a tent).

I'm not a fan of pack covers. I prefer putting stuff in water proof bags inside my pack. It's a lighter and more watertight solution, overall. Most things don't need waterproofing.

Your sleeping bag should have a good waterproof bag. In addition, you can wrap it all up in your groundsheet and/or tarp to create another layer of protection.

Finally, if you don't use the Poncho/Tarp solution (and you can't use an umbrella), then I'd go with a hard shell rainsuit, since Ontario can get serious rain. It won't breathe as well as a DWR finished softshell, but those garments are useless during a hard rain. GoLite makes great hard shells:

http://www.golite.com/product/product2.aspx?sc=104&s=1

I'd go with one with a hood, like the Phantasm.

For something cheaper, consider the DriDucks from Gossamer Gear. They're not nearly as durable as the GoLite ones, but they're cheap! :wink:

I hope that helps!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

Road To Pines

getting clear on gear

Post by Road To Pines » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:30 pm

Thank you for your informative reply, which was efficient and to-the-point. From what I gather, your backpacking life is also efficient and to-the-point.

I'm interested in trying a no-cooking excursion; but I find myself at my edge in giving up the ability to boil water. I don't feel my gear, skills, and constitution offer me the option to go without ready heat above treeline. The safety and comfort of being able to warm myself up quickly with a hot drink or a hot-water bottle in my sleeping bag are, for me, worth the weight of a light mug and stove. I've been caught by hail and snow in the summer, with light clothing and bag; and I wouldn't want to get much colder than I was during those days and nights.

I especially appreciate your guidance on rain gear. Wrapping a tarp or groundsheet around the stowed gear as an additional layer is a great idea. Why just stow it separately when it can protect other gear in the pack?

Having moved on from the combo of tent, pack cover, and rain suit, I haven't yet exhausted my experiments with a poncho/tarp. It's been very useful as a windbreak and cooking shelter in storms; and it's so much more comfortable and breathable than any gore-tex-like jackets I've tried. I'll follow your advice and consult with forecasts to determine when something more buttoned-down is merited.

Still doubtful, though: no wetness issues for you with the down clothing? Is a down vest still appropriate for, say, Seattle area in the fall?

Thanks for the teachings

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Raingear

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:06 pm

I understand that you think the trade off the weight to warmth is worth it for you. You might want to experiment with cook-less eating on a warm summer outing.

I don't wear down clothing, although my Jacks R Better sleeping bag can be worn. I just don't wear it if it's raining or snowing. It's too important to keep dry.

I lived in Seattle for 18 months and experienced some heavy rain. I wouldn't take down clothing there. Fleece, wool, or any synthetic fabric would work.

I hope that helps! I gotta hike! :P
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com