The Jacks R Better No Sniveller

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

The Jacks R Better No Sniveller

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:04 pm

I have a no sniveller clone quilt and wonder how it works for you
without the bivy? Do you find too many drafts rob you of warmth when
it is windy/breezy? Also do insects cause a problem looking for warmth
in your pajamas :) I use a small tarp for overhead shelter too. Just
curious for more details on performance and how you use the
quilt/groundcloth combo and your thoughts/experience of not having the
bivy.

Thanks,
Jhaura
Jhaura: Jacks R Better made me a custom version of their No Sniveller quilt that has 5 extra ounces of down. Their standard bag is good for temps above freezing, but I was constantly getting nailed with sub-freezing temps in New Mexico and Colorado.

Prior to the upgrade, I was freezing my ass off many nights. :(

However, after the upgrade I could survive nights into the teens (about -5 to -10 C).

I believe I sleep normal (i.e., I'm not a warm or cold sleeper).

Although they supplied me with the Gossamer Gear pad that has omni-tape, I almost never taped the bag to it. Instead, I preferred tucking it under me. I toss a couple of times a night, shifting from side to my back and then back to a side. When I shift, I re-tuck the bag and then instantly fall back to sleep.

Now that it is quite warm (I'm in Montana and it's in the 40-50s F at night), I don't tuck, and it's just a blanket. :)

I've never used a bivy and I don't understand why someone would need one if they have a good tarp. In a severe storm, I just pitch the tarp flush to the ground. I've done this with both Gossamer's, MLD's, and GoLite tarps. They all make outstanding tarps. Gossamer's is the best value and MLD's is the lightest.

Finally, I've used quilts for the last 10,000 miles of backpacking and usually sleep with my food under my legs and as my pillow. As crazy as that sounds, I've only had ants come in once (that I know of). It's no big deal and I just crush them and eat them for a midnight snack. :P

No bear or large creature has challenged me for my food. A persistent rat bugged me in the middle of the night in the Bob Marshall Wilderness. However, once I got up, broke branches, revealing how big and tough I was, the rat never returned. I never cook where I camp. On the CDT, I haven't cooked at all since I don't have a stove or pot! :shock:

I hope that helps![/quote]
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com