Can an inexperienced hiker climb Mont Blanc?

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Can an inexperienced hiker climb Mont Blanc?

Post by FrancisTapon » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:21 am

>
> Ok, expert opinion needed: how hard is it to climb Mont Blank for an untrained person like me?! I really loved your pictures and decided that I need a challenge! :-) Ralf thinks I've lost it! But I find it a good plan, it's one of those things that sounds "cool".... :-))))
It is cool. And cold! I'm glad you liked the photos from Mont Blanc.

It is HARD for an untrained person to do it. However, you can do it. Tips:

1. Go during the summer (July-August).
2. Train for it by exercising 30 mins everyday.
3. Plan on 2-3 nights to give your body plenty of time to acclimatize.
4. Take the normal/standard route (which is what I took).
5. I don't use guides, but you should probably have one (or go with someone who has experience and save some money - guides are expensive).
6. You'll need crampons, ice ax, and boots. You can rent all of these in Chamonix, in case you don't have a friend who can loan you the stuff.
7. Most importantly: you need good weather! Make sure you go when it will be SUNNY weather! VERY IMPORTANT. Most problems happen with snow/rain. Check the forecast.

There are huts along the way. They cost 30 euros/night. You can camp outside the hut, but that means more gear. You can buy food there, in case you need to wait for a storm to pass. These huts diminish the risk enormously because they're well placed and let you get shelter and help in case you have a problem.

Although every year people die on Mont Blanc, thousands reach the top, including many novices. So go for it! 8)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com