I'm 21. Should I travel now or finish my education?

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

I'm 21. Should I travel now or finish my education?

Post by FrancisTapon » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:02 pm

My name is Nikita, im 21 years old from Switzerland and i just learned about you on TEDx. The video was incredibly inspiring and i decided to search you on Facebook because i would really appreciate your input on a question i keep asking myself.

I made a doctrine in milk technology and im currently working but i also really want to travel so bad and i have saved up a lot of money already which would last me for a fair while. What keeps me from doing it is that i still want to get a degree as a food technician which would take me at least 3 - 5 years from now on. I feel that way i would have something to come back to after traveling knowing i won't have any trouble making a living.

But... early this year i quit my boring job so i could go hike Nepal which was my dream country for a while and then soon before my final days at work were over the earthquakes happened. I now feel kind of disappointed that i spent time working a boring 7 - 5 job and its now too late to see Nepal in its former beauty.

Do you think i should finish my desired education first or do you believe theres plenty of time when i get back? Did you regret not traveling in your "youth" (not trying to be offensive here since you're still in amazing shape)

hope to hear from you if its somehow possible

kind regards from switzerland
It's unclear how passionate you are about being a food technician.
If you love it almost as much as you love traveling, then get the degree first.
But if you're getting a food technician degree just so you can have a secure job when you finish traveling, then just travel now.

As I say in my TEDx Talk, travel transforms you.
Therefore, it will help you discover what you're truly passionate about.
It will give you opportunities that seem impossible now.
For example, you might find a job in Nepal that will allow you to live there.

In short, if you're not studying or working in a field that you're passionate about, then travel now. 8)
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com