PCT sobo sleeping bag question

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

awex

PCT sobo sleeping bag question

Post by awex » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:03 pm

I was wondering if you could give me a quick synopsis of your sleep system for your sobo PCT thru hike (specifically regarding the sleeping bag). What degree bag did you use? Were you ever able to switch it out for a lighter bag? I plan on starting sobo on July 14th and was wondering what you may recommend (If I could get away with maybe a 32 degree bag instead of a 20 being that I am starting fairly late. P.S. Thanks you for all of your insight on the routes you took on the CDT (I used the J Ley maps for my CDT thru and did a lot of the routes you suggested, which turned out to be amazing). Thanks!

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: PCT sobo sleeping bag question

Post by FrancisTapon » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:10 pm

I used a two-person GoLite quilt for the PCT. However, GoLite is out of business and besides Jacks 'R Better makes a much better quilt than GoLite ever made. I used it on my CDT Yo-Yo.

It's always good to be a bit skeptical about temperature ratings. I'd advise a 20 degree bag, especially if you get a JRB bag, unless you're a warm sleeper. The PCT is a cold at night, and I value a good night's sleep.

If you're bringing a parka and long underwear, then you could take a 32 degree bag and just wear your clothes when you're cold.

Good luck!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com