Backpacking Spain in late May

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

IsaiahF

Backpacking Spain in late May

Post by IsaiahF » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:46 am

Hello,
I am an American college student researching possibilities for backpacking in a group in May 2014. We'll be flying in and out of Madrid for a May-term class which takes us around southern Spain and northern Morocco. At this point we have a group of 3 men and 3 women (or possibly one more man, but definitely no more people) looking for a backpacking trip we can do for 5-7 days, starting around May 19-20. We're looking to do this on the lowest budget possible, probably camping every night except the last night before flying back to Chicago. It's understood that we will be roughing it as much as we can--between the members of our group we have experience with hiking in Big Bend, the Rockies, and portions of the Appalachian trail.

Having been warned by my family that 6 is pushing it, I'm wondering what constraints this size group will put on us. Assuming we can figure that out, which of the Spanish mountain ranges should we look into backpacking? I'm convinced that we want no part of the Camino de Santiago, but I'm aware that there are many more possibilities in Spain. It's just challenging to know where to start or which would be the smoothest place to travel to and get permits, etc.

Thank you so much for your help! :)

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Backpacking Spain in late May

Post by FrancisTapon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:02 am

A group of six isn't too big. You could rent a car together and split the expenses, which might be cheaper than a bus. Or take two taxis.

The best places for a one week backpacking is:

1. Pyrenees (around Mt. Aneto)

2. Sierra Nevada in Spain. I haven't done it, but it must be nice.

Your main challenge is that it will be cold and snowy in the mts in May.

Good luck!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

IsaiahF

Post by IsaiahF » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:00 am

Alright! At this point we've decided on the Pyrenees. One of the things we're wondering about is what the best option would be for getting a camping stove that will be compatible with fuel bought in Spain. Based on our research, we're not sure if we'll be able to use stoves we already own which were bought in the United States.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Post by FrancisTapon » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Outdoor shops in Spain supply the same gas as you get in the USA, so you'll be fine.

If you're paranoid:

a) Bring all the fuel you'll need. That might be a bit heavy.
b) Try alcohol stoves or bring one as a backup.
c) Consider not cooking! I went 7 months without cooking. I had no stove on the CDT. I didn't miss it!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com