Windriver CDT Route

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

AdventureStreet

Windriver CDT Route

Post by AdventureStreet » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:49 pm

I was wondering if you had any GPS data or route information hiking off the CDT "trail" and following the actual Continental Divide. Specifically avoiding large impassable obstacles, good camp locations, and where you veered of the trail and kept to the true and rugged Continental Divide. Looking at Jonathan Ley's CDT Maps, as you mentioned, his route veers off the Continental Divide and into lower basins. I couldn't agree more with your statement "Don't take the easy way through the Wind River Range. Challenge yourself and see the most spectacular, rewarding section on the entire Divide." I'll be hiking the length of the Wind River range early September this year.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: Windriver CDT Route

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:43 am

Make sure you look at all of Ley's maps in the Wind River. The red line on his map shows the CDT's official path through the Wind River Range. The Purple Line shows the one along the high route, which is what I did (and what you will do). Backcountry Navigator probably has more detailed GPS stuff, although you should be able to get by with Ley's map and his purple route. It's approximate, but good enough. There are no trees there, but there are plenty of flat places to camp. Good luck!
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com