Umbrella

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

NB

Umbrella

Post by NB » Thu May 03, 2007 10:09 pm

What is the theory behind carrying an umbrella vs., let's say, a wide-brim collapsable hat?

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Umbrella vs. a Hat

Post by FrancisTapon » Fri May 11, 2007 1:23 pm

Good question!

What did your mom tell you to do when it was cold outside?

"Put on a hat!" :!:

OK, my mom didn't say that either, but she should have. :P

It's smart to put on a hat when it's cold. You lose at least 15% of your body heat through your head. Some estimate that you lose over 50% of your body heat out of your head. Although 50% seems hard to believe, the general idea is correct: you lose a significant amount of heat through your head. That's why a hat is extremely effective at trapping that heat in.

And that's precisely why I prefer an umbrella over a sunhat when the sun is beating down on you.

The sunhat just traps heat in, offsetting most, if not all, the benefits of the limited shade it delivers. 8)

Putting a hat will give you limited shade (barely covering your face unless it very wide brimmed, which then could get blow away by an intense gust of wind).

An umbrella gives you a ton of shade (usually down to my knees) and lets heat escape from your head, keeping you cool. What's more is that you can shed layers and walk around shirtless (sports bra if you're a woman) and enjoy the airflow and shade.

On the other hand, I'll admit that the sunhat has one huge advantage over the umbrella: you get an extra hand free. So for some activities in the sun, an umbrella doesn't make sense since you need both hands free.

Lastly, an umbrella is more effective at protecting you in the rain than a hat. :)

I'm lazy, so share an excerpt from my book, Hike Your Own Hike, page 52:
I didn’t bring a rain jacket on the AT because I find that there is no rain jacket that offers as much rain protection and ventilation as an umbrella. The ventilation is important because it postpones overheating.

For example, Lisa wore a rain jacket but by the time she would get to the top of a mountain, she would be soaked—in sweat, not rain. Either one would help take her down the path of hypothermia because of the cold winds at the summit.

An umbrella helps regulate your temperature because it lets the heat that your body generates while hiking evaporate quickly. Even “breathable” rain jackets trap a significant amount of heat. Near the top of a mountain, you can add a layer of clothing before your body starts to cool during the descent.

At eight ounces, a GoLite umbrella weighs about nearly half as much as a “breathable” rain jacket. Thru-hikers are fanatical about minimizing their pack weight, so this is yet another good reason to use an umbrella for rain protection. Moreover, since I wear glasses, I like how an umbrella does a much better job at protecting my lenses from getting wet than a simple hood.

Finally, when you’re exposed to a scorching sun, umbrellas provide excellent protection and don’t trap heat like a sunhat.

Lisa discovered that I was staying drier than she was, so after New Hampshire she sent her rain jacket home and used a GoLite umbrella for the 12 remaining states.

On the other hand, most hikers think I’m nuts. Although I encourage you try using an umbrella, what’s more important is that you hike your own hike and use whatever rain protection makes you happiest.
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

Chip

umbrella

Post by Chip » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:26 am

Francis, finally catching up on some reading, and read your PCT Sobo article in the PCTA communicator April/May. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in writing.

I'll review the contents of your website, but my immediate question is which brand of umbrella you used on your PCT hike. It appears (from the pictures) to have a reflective surface. Is this a new golite version? Am I seeing things? Thanks.

- Chip

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: umbrella

Post by FrancisTapon » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:51 am

Chip wrote:...which brand of umbrella you used on your PCT hike. It appears (from the pictures) to have a reflective surface. Is this a new golite version? Am I seeing things? Thanks.
Your vision is great! No eyeglasses for you!

Yes, it's the GoLite Chrome Dome. I used on my PCT 2006 Trek. A good pic of the umbrella is here:

http://cdtyoyo.com/pct/gear.htm

I'm using the new, 20% lighter version, of the Chrome Dome during my 2007 yo-yo of the CDT. The circumferance is the same. They saved most of the weight by using a smaller handle.

My entire CDT gear list is here:

http://cdtyoyo.com/cdt/gear.htm

I highly recommend the Chrome Dome. I've tried other umbrellas, and the GoLite is the best. :D

And they don't pay me to say that. :wink:
- Francis Tapon

SymBlanchard

umbrella

Post by SymBlanchard » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:54 pm

Francis,

I really enjoyed your CDT YoYo presentation at the Concord REI on 2/5/2008. You are quite an inspiration for me personally. Thanks!

You had mentioned that you did not use the umbrella in the snow very much. Was this because the reflection upwards from the snow was about as intense as from the sun, so the protection is not that good? Or is it because the temperature was so cold that ventilation is not a problem? Or were there other reasons?

Thanks,
Sym

SymBlanchard

umbrella

Post by SymBlanchard » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:29 pm

I just saw the answer at the bottom of your gear list for the CDT YoYo:

"Why give up the umbrella in Colorado? Umbrellas become less ineffective in snow (due to the sun's reflectivity off the snow) or when the temperature gets near freezing (because you'll want another clothing layer anyway). Both conditions will exist in Colorado, especially in May and June. Umbrellas excel in most 3-season backpacking when it's not near (or below) freezing. If it's above 5 degrees Celsius, I'll carry an umbrella."

I think that should read "less effective" rather than "less ineffective".

Thanks!

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Re: umbrella

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:16 pm

SymBlanchard wrote: You had mentioned that you did not use the umbrella in the snow very much. Was this because the reflection upwards from the snow was about as intense as from the sun, so the protection is not that good? Or is it because the temperature was so cold that ventilation is not a problem? Or were there other reasons?
Sym
Sym: Yes, yes, and yes!

As you know, in the snow, you get 50% of the sun's impact from the reflectivity of the snow itself. While using an umbrella isn't completely useless, it is only 50% as effective as it is when you're on dry ground. Since it's less effective, I left it behind in May. 8)

Also, when temps get close (or below) freezing, I prefer having something more than just a featherlight wind jacket. A rain jacket offers that extra layer, which is useful even when it's not raining. When temps get near or below freezing, I leave my umbrella behind.

Finally, when you're traveling through snow all day long, you often want to have an ice axe. Although I don't use trekking poles, some do. In snow I'd rather not have an umbrella in one hand and an ice axe in the other. It works, but it could be awkward. Save the weight and bring warmer clothes. ;)

I hope that helps! :)
- Francis Tapon

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Holding an umbrella and dealing with hard rain

Post by FrancisTapon » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:33 pm

Do you find that your arms get tired holding the umbrella. Also, how do you deal w/ wind driven rain? Sorry to be a bother but you ARE a great resource, I'd be foolish not to ask. Thanks again, Mark
Mark: Thanks for the question, it's a common one.

I never get tired of holding the umbrella, and I often have it deployed for 10 hours a day. There are two secrets to not getting tired:

1) Get a light umbrella (10 ounces or less). I prefer the GoLite Chrome Dome which weighs just under 8 ounces. It's perfect!

2) Lean the umbrella against your body and switch hands occasionally.

Often the angle of the sunlight allows you to rest the umbrella shaft against your shoulder. While you still have to hold the handle, the weight is distributed against your body/chest/shoulder, so it doesn't feel heavy at all. ;)

When the sun his setting in front of you, you have little choice but to hold it out in front of you. This is the most taxing position, but it rarely lasts long since the sun does set or the trees block it at that angle.

If you do get fatigued, just switch hands. Let's say the sun is hitting your right side and you're tired of holding it in your right hand. I'll hold it in my left hand and have the shaft rest against the back of my neck so that the canopy is still sheltering my right side from the heat and UV. It gives my right hand a break and since most of the pressure rests on my neck, my left hand doens't get tired at all (and the umbrella is so light that my neck doesn't tire either).

Although some hikers like to make some place to prop their umbrella on their pack (so that they don't have to hold it), I think it's a bad idea because the umbrella is fixed. Since trails and sun are constantly changing, you need to adjust the umbrella to provide optimum shade. If you're going to carry a half-pound piece of gear, you might as well use 100% of it, not 25% of it. :(

Unless the sun is directly overhead, propping the umbrella will provide sub-optimum coverage. If the sun is at an angle, then an umbrella that is pointed straight up is only protecting your head from the sun, whereas a tilted umbrella can cover 80% of your body (the only part of my body that was exposed was just below my knees). If you're just interested in protecting your face from the sun, just get a wide-brimmed hat. 8)

I don't like a hat for sun because, as I explained in a previous post, it traps the heat in. The umbrella lets heat escape from your head.

Dealing with wind-driven rain is pretty easy. Just hold the shaft with two hands and let the canopy bend against your body. No matter how hard that rain/wind comes, the canopy won't snap because it's bumping up against your body. :idea:

In extreme conditions where I really fear the wind, I will press the release button so that the umbrella is on its way to collapsing (as if I were going to stow it away). If a massive gust comes (one that could theoretically snap the umbrella), then all that will happen is that the umbrella will collapse into the stow away position. It won't snap.

Finally, the most likely situation that breaks umbrella is not rainstorms. It's when it's sunny and windy. The sun might be on your right and the wind comes from your left. That's when you're most likely to break the umbrella, because you'll be tempted to block the sun on your right and a gust comes from the left that inverts your umbrella. :roll:

In a rainstorm, on the other hand, the wind and rain always come from the same direction, so they're no debate where to face the umbrella. When it's sunny, remember to ignore the sun if it's windy. Face the wind.

I've never broken a GoLite umbrella in my 12,000 miles of hiking with one. :)

Happy trails,
- Francis Tapon

havoc
Trusted Member

Umbrellas

Post by havoc » Wed May 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Okay, all this umbrella talk and I have to ask if you have any experience with Birdiepal umbrellas? I want either a Golite Chrome Dome or a Birdiepal liteflex wing (with the silver reflctive material) or the Birdiepal light trek (silver reflective that is collapsible). Birdiepal has a reputation as very strong and durable and I really like the idea of the collapsible light trek. Do you have any experience with the Birdiepals or just the Chrome Dome? Oh, I am really enjoying your book, as is one of my hiking and climbing buddies that I bought a copy for Christmas. Thanks again and happy trails. Robert

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Birdiepal Umbrellas vs. the Chrome Dome

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed May 07, 2008 5:54 pm

Robert: I've never heard of the Birdiepal umbrellas, so thank you for mentioning it! :)

I'm skeptical of any collapsible umbrella because the mechanics involved either add weight and/or decrease strength. The designers at GoLite aren't stupid. They know that a collapsible umbrella would be more attractive to a lightweight backpacker, so there's a good reason they avoided making one. Collapsible ones are generally structurally weaker than a comparable non-collapsible one.

Nevertheless, don't let me discourage you! What matters more than the construction is the way you hold the umbrella (as I talked about the previous threads). An experienced umbrella hiker could keep a weak umbrella from breaking, whereas a novice might break a sturdy GoLite one.

I'd encourage you to get it and report back here! Check the forecast before you set out. If it's windy/rainy, then carry a rain jacket as a backup. ;)

Lastly, enjoy this 17 second video of the Birdiepal Light Trek!
- Francis Tapon

havoc
Trusted Member

Umbrellas

Post by havoc » Wed May 07, 2008 7:10 pm

Francis, i just lost 2 lengthy posts discussing umbrellas so I will make this attempt very short. Does the Chrome Dome with its reflective material make a noticeable difference in the sun compared to a typical umbrella with typical non reflective material? Check out www.birdiepal.com for their quality facts and their engineering section, which is somewhat didden if I recall, for pics and videos of their testing. Thanks again for your time and expertise and enjoy your evening.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Birdiepal Umbrellas vs. the Chrome Dome

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed May 07, 2008 7:42 pm

I'm sorry you lost your posts!

I have tested umbrellas with a reflective material side-by-side ones that have a black cover. I've even put a thermometer under each canopy to see if I could detect a difference. My tests were not at all scientific, but I was hoping the difference would be obvious.

Unfortunately, it's not, at least in my opinion. Yes, the reflective umbrella is noticeably cooler than the black one. However, the difference is subtle.

On the other hand, a subtle difference adds up over time. It's easier to overheat when it's a bit hotter.

One thing is clear: ANY umbrella has a dramatic effect on shielding you from a hot dry sun. The reflective layer is marginally cooler and worth the extra cost. When it's blazing hot outside, it's better to have ANY umbrella than just to have a measly sunhat which traps all the heat in your head.

That's my opinion, and I encourage you to hike your own hike! ;)
- Francis Tapon