Insurance for backpacking

If you have a question or comment on backpacking or thru-hiking, please post it here.

FrancisTapon
Site Admin

Insurance for backpacking

Post by FrancisTapon » Wed May 27, 2015 4:41 am

> Hi Mr Tapon,
> I am from England and have been granted a visa to hike the CDT so may be flying over in a couple of weeks to go SoBo. I would like to know if you took out any insurance for your trip or if you went without? As it is an incomplete trail i dont believe standard hiking insurance covers. any views or pointers on it would be appreciated. (Im doing this very last minute so the info from you site has been brilliant)
> thanks
> ben
Although I didn't have insurance, if you want it, my research shows that World Nomads insurance is affordable and I've heard of someone getting paid on a claim that could have been rejected.

I've bought World Nomads for 6-months of my Africa trip, but I haven't tried to submit any claims. I may use World Nomads again. They're affordable and they cover "extreme activities" like mountaineering.

However, I'm not sure if they offer coverage for non-USA residents. Check it out and tell me what you think.
- Francis Tapon
http://FrancisTapon.com

benkerr

Re: Insurance for backpacking

Post by benkerr » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:18 am

Hi Francis, sorry for the 2year very delayed reply. I went with Worldnomads with the extra hiking to 4500meters option. I actually had a payout from world nomads in Australia 4 years ago for emergency dental so was pretty happy with them then. I'm back doing the divide again this year so will go with them again. Along with a Spot rescue device and the extra search and rescue cover it provides. thanks again.